Can a doctor predict how long you will live with MS after seeing you just once?

I know this is a tough question to answer, but I'm gonna give it a **** anyway. A friend of mine was in a drug rehab for 30 days and got out about a week ago. He's a bad addict in that he will lie about anything if it will help him get high. I know many are like this but I know many who are not. He asked to borrow money but I told him I didn't have it like that. I've lent him money a lot of times but I really don't have it. So yesterday he says he has 5 yrs to live. They took blood from him while in rehab and they sent him a letter telling him this or to call them and they told him over the phone. He says the stage that he's in now they give him 5yrs. But I've known a few people who lived with it for years. Also he only told me and asked me not to tell anyone else. So what do you think, does this sound on the up & up? Its hard to know for sure I know.

Favorite Answer

MS as in multiple sclerosis?

What I think? I think he's lying.

a) MS is not diagnosed through a blood test. An MS diagnosis starts with eliminating all other causes for the symptoms, and then an MRI, some neurologists will insist on a lumbar puncture to test of oligoclonal bands in the cerebro spinal fluid, but this is no longer standard (I had to have one because my insurance insisted on it, even though my MRI was pretty conclusive).

b) MS is not considered a fatal disease and the majority of people with MS will have near normal lifespans. The main causes of death for people with MS tends to be the same as for everyone else.

There are four different types of MS (not including benign MS), but MS doesn't have stages as such like e.g. cancer. Aggressive MS can suddenly go dormant, benign MS can suddenly turn aggressive. A rule of thumb is that the disease progression after the first five years after onset can give you an idea of how the overall progression will continue, but there are no guarantees.

Even if he has the very rare, extremely aggressive MS (which is sometimes listed as a fifth type of MS, although the experts cannot agree whether it is MS or not), then it's still highly unlikely the neurologist would have given him any kind of a time frame, and in this case, he should already be showing some pretty severe symptoms, although MS can in general be an invisible disease.

Source(s): Diagnosed with MS in 2003
  • Lisa

Nope. My father had terminal cancer and they wouldn't even give him a time frame when he was clearly dying. Doctors don't do that anymore because it leaves them open to being sued. For instance, if they say you have six months to live and so you go live it up, quit your job and spend all your money, and gee, now you're in remission and years have passed and you have no money and nothing...you can sue your doctor. And MS isn't a terminal illness in the same fashion that cancer is. People don't die of MS, they die of infections or illnesses that are secondary, and these days, with all the medical breakthroughs with medications, they live long lives. MS is something that disables you, it doesn't necessarily kill you. So yeah, he's full of what makes the grass go green.

• Rick B

No. A doctor would not give him 5 years to live with a MS diagnosis. The course that MS takes varies greatly and can be affected by stress, diet, health habits, your immune system, etc.

• Tavy

He is a liar. MS is not diagonised by a blood test but by scans. Each person can be different and most live for many years. He would have to be bedridden before his life would be taken.

A member of my family had it, and NO , no one is told they only have a few years to live.

• Elaine

Your best source of information would be through the MS Society.

surgery than can

sure