why do so many people hate on Ford?

okay so everytime on Youtube like if someone makes a video of having an issue with ford, people will comment saying "bc it's a Ford" or make abbreviations like F.O.R.D = fix or repair daily or found on road dead, also last night I watched a video of someone using a tractor and he accidentally ran into an F-150 of course people said he even knows ford is a peice of sh*t. I think Ford trucks are great I've seen them pull semis, pull down trees and pull out stuck vehicles. So why do people say ford sucks when I see so many people in my area drive F-150s and alot of work places in my area are all f-series trucks or E- series vans. My dad had an 1994 ford explorer and the only issue he had was the power Windows not working very well my my aunt has a ford sport trac and she enjoys it.

also I might get my aunts bffs ford f-250 with 7.3 powerstroke and she said he never had any problems with it

Favorite Answer

Ford had a bad decade in the 1990s, and were pretty ragged back into the 1970s. Ford concentrated too much on fleet sales, making their cars pretty reliable for three years and the devil take them after that. A friend of the family had a mid-90s Escort that suffered a seized water pump in its fourth year, after the warranty ran out but the payments didn't. The pump broke the timing belt and crashed the engine. Nobody was surprised.

Early in the 2000s Ford started revamping their passenger cars. By the mid-2000s most of the passenger cars had become reliable enough and rarely needed expensive repairs. The Explorer shaped up around the time most of the passenger cars did - take a look at the complaint chart in the first source. The spike in complaints in 2013 is for body and paint.

Today I consider Ford a solid performer and a good value.

EDIT - BTW, the Powerstrokes had their own problems in the mid-2000s. My work truck had a 6.0, and it was the most troublesome engine I have ever seen. First, it had a 2005 special problem. As it was explained to me, in 2005 Ford used a different connector on the high pressure oil something. It was so troublesome that they switched back to the original connector before the model year was over. Mine was one of the problem children, refusing to start over a dozen times and having to be towed before the company paid for the teardown to replace the part. Then the EGR valve stuck open 12 miles from pavement, causing the engine to choke and die if I touched the throttle in the slightest. I nursed it back to the highway, playing the gears in idle, so it could be towed 60 miles back to town. If that had been my only experience with Fords I would have a dim view of them, too.

Ford has a policy of charging what the market will bear. add in the bean counters they employ buy the most cost effective parts and design life is built in .add on large numbers as mass built and any failures etc seem to be magnified. ignore personal preferences or pet hates such as branding. Toyota was market leader once for reliability but Ford has now matched that ad in some cases beaten it. sadly they still buy down to a price for their components rather than longevity as costs are the senior factor and shareholder returns push this.

a simple part may cost a fraction more from a different supplier and have twice the longevity but Ford will but cheaper if it fits its design criteria e.g. estimated life under warranty. the cost saving being shown as good management and cost control. sadly this often results in failures and unhappy customers. aside form that Ford has over last decade brought itself up with standards and now matches any other major manufacturer for its goods in all criteria .thus personal choice being the area is has to try and influence by providing cars in TV shows. movies and advertisements but here agin do other manufactures. bottom line is the are decent products overall these days.

Not sure. I like the 70's and 80' model GM and chevy's. But I had a brand new 2010 chevy pickup for work that had to go into the shop continuously. I hated that thing and the interior design sucked.

We ended up trading it off with a 2014 ford Pickup and I never once had trouble with it. I loved the overall design both inside and out.

I decided I will own a newer ford but wont touch the newer chevy's based on my experiences.

I've owned many ford's all different years trucks & cars & vans. 70's 80's 90's in currently a few 00's. I've never had any problems it all despends on how it was drove by the previous owners in was maintained. I've come from a big ford family and that's all my family drives. a great truck by ford was a 94-97 f150 4x4 with the 300 straight 6 that motor is hard to kill it last forever and I actually work the crap outta my truck's pulling trailers/campers/ long traveling & trips/ mudding & hauling stuff & plowing every winter. I honestly just sold a 1999 ford f150 2wd extended cab besides the typical rust 300,000+ miles on it and counting I still see it driving around it had the 5.4l triton v8 automatic and all I had to replace was a trans at 100,000 miles & brakes & rotors & the wiper transmission bearings wore out. still had the original spark plugs, wires, etc I changed them before I sold it though. now driving a 99 f350 dually 4x4 with the 7.3L turbo diesel powerstroke has about 230,000 original miles just getting broken in honestly truck runs damn good one of fords best diesel engines.

• Mr.357

They are poorly designed and the parts wear out quickly. The engines and transmissions wear out in about half the time as the GM stuff. I have always told my kids that if they want to look good going some where, take a Ford (don't own any and never plan on owning one). If you want a decent chance to get back home, take a GM or Dodge.

It seems that so many people hate on Ford because you are zeroed in on hearing the complaints. The reality is that there are lots of people out there, lots of cars out there and people hate on just about anything. You like Ford, so you are sensitive to hearing the haters.

• FlagMichael
      4 years agoReport

True - and Ford is so popular there are a lot of failures (and a lot of non-failures) out there. It is a numbers game.

• Jason

I think most of the problem is the owner. I've been working off and on with my brother's girlfriend's car which is a 2003 Ford Taurus with a 3.0L V6. It has lots of issues but she only bought it for $1,000. Sometime we'll get everything fixed and it'll be a decent car again.

My Dodge Dakota 3.9L auto costed $12 to get on the road. My Ford Ranger 2.3L manual costed me $1200 the first year. I drive the dodge for 60K miles on top of 226K miles already, all OEM. The Ford was 100K miles. I drive it 4K miles, on a second drivetrain+engine. So, Ford is garbage. That is your answer. $12 vs $1200 and 4K miles vs 60K miles.

• Willie

I breathe Ford.

They're brand enthusiasts, not car enthusiasts. That's why they hate on Ford.