Why is HB2 so controversial?

I am a native North Carolinian and I don't understand why the HB2 law is so controversial. I get that some people see it as a way to oppress transgendered people, but I don't feel like that was the case. The law states that you must use the bathroom that is the same as the sex on your birth certificate,... show more I am a native North Carolinian and I don't understand why the HB2 law is so controversial. I get that some people see it as a way to oppress transgendered people, but I don't feel like that was the case. The law states that you must use the bathroom that is the same as the sex on your birth certificate, however as long as you have the proper sex change surgery you can get the sex on your birth certificate changed. I don't think it's fair to have a woman share a bathroom with someone who is anatomically a male, nor is it fair to have a man share a bathroom with someone who is anatomically a woman. And no matter what you identify as, if a grown person of the opposite sex follows a child into the bathroom a lot of people are going to have problems with that. I'm not intolerant of the LGBTQ community and I support equal rights for everyone, but I fail to see how HB2 is oppressive. Please enlighten me, because I genuinely want to know what you think. And please don't bash me or my beliefs, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that should be respected.
8 answers 8