I want to buy a laptop, and then pretty much gut it and replace parts to make it decently powerful. What is a good machine to use for this?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Clevo sells a empty shell of a lappy and you can install the CPU, GPU, RAM and a hard drive of your choice. The very same components that come in all lappies. All laptops or desktops have pretty much the same CPU, GPU, ram, hard drive and screen. Most people do not know that the brand of the hard drive can make all the differences in the world. Intel and AMD make the best CPU. AMD and Nividia make the best GPU. What makes a good laptop or desktop is the manufacturing process, the motherboard and the sub components used in them. So you can try this but in the end it is a bad idea. You will end up spending way more then you need to and get a lappy that is no where as good as if you bought a good lappy from HP or ASUS.

Can you trust rescuecom. They are a joke and their statistic are flawed. There are those who claim that HP has fallen from grace and like to use rescuecom to try to prove the point. Rescuecom uses a flawed statistical analysis and anyone who can do basic math can see it. Lets see how they come up with their TRUMPED UP NUMBERS. This is from their web site, "RESCUECOM constructs the Computer Repair Report by collecting information on every problem for which customers called us for help at 1-800-RESCUE-PC, and the total number of times we received calls for each particular issue. We then gather this information, categorizing and ranking each specific problem in order from most to least problematic." The key words in that are CALLS RECEIVED from each customer. Another key part of that is that only 5.7% had hardware problems and 61.5% were M$ problems. Now does it start to look like someone is using a bad statistical analysis to TRUMP UP THE NUMBERS.

Lets first clear up who sells what and how many. While Lenovo might be the leader in world wide sales they ARE NOT in the USA. They hold that title simply because they hold a monopoly in Communist China. You can use the link below to see how many puters that each vendor has sold and the percentage sold in the USA. In the forth quarter of 2014 only 11% of Lenovo shipments were to the USA, that comes to only a 1.79 million units. While 30% of HP shipment was to the USA and that came to 4.731 million units. HP sold more then 2.5 times more then Lenovo in the USA.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/263393/global-p...

Now lets look at the statistics used by rescuecom. If you do not sell many puters then less are going to come in for repair, making it look like it has fewer repairs. It is very simple math. If you do not sell as many puters then less are going to call for tech support. Again it is very simple math. People will try to fool you with these type numbers by claiming that this company had this many come in for repairs and that proves they are no good. If you sell more then twice as many puters then you will see more of them in the repair shop.

RESCUECOM calculates reliability scores by contrasting a manufacturer’s market share of tech devices to the number of tech support calls for those devices. That tends to skew the numbers a bit, don't you think. The system you see getting the highest rating from them are the ones who sells the least in the USA. Again, this is just simple basic math.

I know how this game is played because I spent my entire life in the service industry. I have seen this type of manipulation of numbers before. While I have my opinion I do not use TRUMPED UP NUMBERS. I also do not work for any of these major corporation as others do.

I have held this opinion for many many years and it is based on my experience in the repair industry and I do not use TRUMPED UP NUMBERS to back up my claims.

If you want to know how honest they are, call them and ask if they are an authorized warranty repair center. When I did that they frst claimed they were. So I aksed them if they repair my laptop will they bill HP and they said no they would bill me and THEN said they are NOT a auhorized repair center.

Source(s): TWB 35+ years of experience in the service industry. You name it, I have probably fixed it. I did not design it, I did not build it, I did not break it, but I am the one who can fix it. What that means is that I have spent a life time taking these things apart and seeing how they are made. The difficult we do right away, the impossible just takes a little longer. I hear voices, so please be quiet so I can listen to them.
  • David

Your idea is a non-starter, unlike desktops, laptop cases are custom designed around the laptop chassis and motherboard. A huge amount of research goes into designing a laptop motherboard, dealing with the heat produced and making run as efficiently as possible - It isn't possible to gut it and replace it with your own mix of components

Sorry.