Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 5 years ago

Am I a hypocrite if I'm a republican and I want to work for the post office ?

I'm a hard core consertive and I believe in programs like social security and Medicad only for people who really need it,that's one reason I'm voting for trump,I'm 18 and I want to work at the post office,but my teacher said how can u be a republican and work at the post office?

Favorite Answer

No, a Republican wouldn't necessarily be a hypocrite for taking a postal service job. While many Republicans have been against certain government programs. I think the Postal Service is one they are at least okay with keeping. Many may actually be supportive of keeping it. The Founding Fathers even put in place a federal post office service. So the Post Office is not some new Modern Leftist thing. In this country, it goes back to the Founding Fathers.

Now, if you are a person (irregardless of party affiliation or ideology) who thinks that the U.S. Postal Service should be done away with and you work for the U.S. Postal Service, then I can perhaps see where some might make a legitimate point in saying that is hypocritical. But I don't know if I would agree with that or not. Sometimes a person takes whatever job they can get. Or sometimes they take whatever job that pays enough or that has good enough benefits that they can get. If one has a family that they need to support, sometimes they take whatever job they can get, just so it doesn't go against their morals and ethical standards. Which doing something that is contrary to your political beliefs is necessarily going against your moral and ethical standards. For example, while many "Small Government" Republicans don't believe in Medicare and Social Security, I don't think they think those programs are immoral or unethical. And I think that anyone who thought there should NOT be a public sector mail delivery program would not believe that that program was immoral or unethical.

Anyway, but sometimes a person takes whatever job that pays good enough and that has good enough benefits that they can get (just so it doesn't violate their morals and ethical standards). And, from what I understand, the U.S. Postal Service pays its employees a decent salary and give them good benefits. A person may not believe that a program should exist. But if it is there, why not get a job with it to make some money while it is there. A person can work for the U.S. Postal Service while voting for a candidate who wants to do away with the U.S. Postal Service(U.S.P.S.). That person will just get whatever benefits they can get out of the U.S.P.S. that they can get while it is around. Like I said, that person may have a family they need to support. And sometimes it is understandable to compromise some of your political beliefs if it means helping support yourself and your family.

I'll say this: I don't like big for-profit companies. But I realize there may come a time when I'm practically forced to work at one in order to support myself and a wife I will one day have and some kid or kids I will one day have. Is that hypocritical? I don't know. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

Here is what I can tell you, with certainty in my mind: Please don't vote for Donald Trump. Please don't for him in a Republican Presidential Primary or Caucus, if you haven't already voted. And Please don't support him in the November general election, whether he is the Republican nominee or a third party or independent candidate. And please don't support Trump getting on the ballot as an independent. And please don't support Trump in getting a third party's nomination. Basically, please don't support Donald Trump at all. I find that Donald Trump can be quite mean and hateful. He offends my moral conscience. He's angry and doesn't use good judgment in how he talks to people or how he talks about people. He has sometimes even given somewhat of an encouragement for rough-handing or even violence at his rallies. And he's not going to be able to do these things he's talking about doing. (For, example, Mexico is a sovereign nation. There is no way he can just tell them to pay for a wall that the U.S. built along the U.S.-Mexico border.) Trump is just full of himself. Trump says wages in America are too high. That is not true. For many industries and for many jobs in this country wages are not too high. People are struggling to make ends meet. They often find themselves having to work a 2nd job in order to get by. This means less time for them to spend with their family. This means less time to talk to their children and learn what happened in their day. This means less time to give them good guidance in how to avoid problems at school or elsewhere. This means less time to give them advice on how to have better days ahead of them. I have family values and, because of that, I want people to get paid more so they can be with their families more and bring more good, wholesome family messages. A family getting paid a good wage helps their family life. That's family values. I'm pro-life and opposed to same-sex marriage, but I also believe in helping the little guy. I'm for helping the financial stability of families. So, I don't believe Trump's statement that, "Wages in America are too high." With all due respect, I believe that Donald Trump's opinion of himself is too high. Donald Trump to me just seems like a bully and he is quite crude. He doesn't seem to show good self-control. I mean, let me ask you this: Do you really want Donald Trump to be meeting and talking with the leaders of nations around the world? Do you really want Donald Trump's finger to be within easy access of the nuclear button?

Please consider all this when deciding who to support in the campaign.

Thank you.

There's nothing wrong with that. Your teacher seems to have a problem differentiating between working in a government job and Socialism.

She seems to believe that only democrats, herself included, should have taxpayer funded jobs. Tell her, "Some Republicans want to be school teachers so why not?"

Kid, you're 18, you're not hard-core anything.