Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 4 years ago

Why am I incapable of understanding math?

It's stupid, when I try I don't get ****, who the hell invented math!?

Favorite Answer

Some people have different brain wiring that makes understanding and using math concepts difficult--especially the way they are presented in school today. Math requires a potentially difficult combination of short-term memory, long-term memory, procedure and pattern memory, abstract thinking (in multiple layers), counting skill, language skill, and more. Dyslexia can add difficulty to the challenge.

It can help immensely to have a solid background in play with objects that permit grouping and counting. Legos, cards, jacks--all are helpful at improving your sense of numbers and the ways they group and combine. Similarly, playing with the tools of geometry (ruler, compass, protractor) can give a sense of how geometric figures work and the ways they can be manipulated. Enlarging or reducing drawings using graph paper can get you used to ideas of scale and similarity. A hobby or play with rulers and tape measures can give you an idea of units and their conversion, as well as fractions and their equivalents. Cooking with recipes that you can double or halve is also good math training, as is playing with measuring cups and containers. Card games involving scores and/or chips are also useful. Learning to use an abacus or soroban (my favorite) is excellent training in arithmetic skills. Outdoor games involving direction with a magnetic compass and distance using counted steps (orienteering or mapping) can be good preparation, too.

In times of old, kids did these things as a normal matter of growing up. These days, fast food, cell phones, and video games make most of these modes of play seem obsolete, so math becomes much more mysterious.

It is never too late to start playing in these ways. One high school girl I know enjoyed learning fractions, measures, and other math by making different versions of a Monster Cookie recipe on weekends (with additional tutoring while cookies baked). It helped her graduate and go on to earn college degrees--something that might not have been possible had she failed her math course.

Math was invented over a long period of time, and is what allows mankind to advance to what it is today. As for why you don't understand it. Math is a lot of logical thoughts. As well it helps if you the assignments. As if you don't you'll fall behind. One last thing... not doing your work, and barely passing by in a class such as algebra I, algebra II, and even Geometry you will feel the burn later. It hurts like hell. In other words math builds HEAVILY on itself, and if you miss out even a little you will dig your own grave. Ask your teacher / tutor for help. If you don't have one then ask math questions on here, and PAY close attention to the steps. Either that or look up other websites for help, such as Khan Academy.

• ?

Unless you want to get screwed, learn math. Why? When I present you with a quarter dollar coin after I get change from a paper dollar, I just gave you a dollar. You can't complain because it says dollar on it. And the word quarter you say? Just a title for the coin, like nickle and dime and penny. Go buy a soda.

I've no clue.