Do you think JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek?

WTF did he do to it? it used to be awesome, then he got his hands on it!!!

Spock with Uhura??? WTF!!!

• IOM
    Favorite Answer

ABSOLUTELY. I thoroughly hate that idiot. The ONLY, single, decent thing he's ever been credited in is the Hulu 8-episode TV miniseries "11.22.63" and that as Executive Producer along with author Stephen King and two others.

Live Long and Prosper. 🖖

Dif-tor Heh Smusma 🖖

Partially. But i also blame the writers.

The Star Trek Universe worked quite well for over 40 years.

I'm not looking forward to the new series because;

1- at least one of the writers from JJ's movie is part of the team

2- it's on some pay channel

(Side thought) if you haven't already

Check out Star Trek Continues. Two of my friends also really liked it

This is a sequel to Mirror Mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w

Youtube thumbnail

Absolutely NOT.

It was by no doubt a fun, entertaining, visual spectacle.

BUT Star Trek isn't about the action, the explosions and the lens flare, it about the human adventure. Through a character driven plot, we see ourselves from a different point of view as we learn something about ourselves in the process.

With that being said, I can honestly say that JJ got it right.

Though they doubled the humour, tripled the action and centupled the lens flare, his version was anything BUT dumb down. If anything, he didn't pretend that unnecessary convolution can be disguised as intellect. Or that you actually have to think, rather someone doing the thinking for you.

Look at Kirk. Can you figure out that he's an intrepid, swashbuckling space adventurer whose ********* and arrogance is tempered by his sense of loyalty to his crew and trepindess of the responsibility of the chair without knowing about Kobayashi Maru? Do you need that with countless pieces of information to rely upon to figuring the man out?

They say this Star Trek is for those who can't tell the difference between a Targ and a Tribble. But can you figure out what the wagon trail to the stars is without knowing about those two?

It seems as though the problem is that JJ didn't dumb it down for your benefit by not relying on trivia throughout the franchise for you to use as a crutch. Where he pulled the purist formula out of the franchise and allowed Star Trek to be more than long running fan fiction driven by the federation, the prime directive and the Borg. But driven by the human adventure.

Source(s): I'm a hard core Trekkie who has been watching the show since he was a toddler.

Hey, don t like it? Don t watch it. He created a new incarnation of an iconic series. Do I like everything about it? No. Do I think it was well done, well written, and entertaining? Yes.

It "used" to be awesome -- it still is. Abrams series of movies doesn t change any of what the various original series did - they re still the same epic shows (and movies).

Abrams movies are a complete retelling of the universe that in no way change the impact Star Trek has had.

He kinda did, Star Trek used to be heavy on the Sci(and they did it so well, that aeronautics, Phones/Computers, and IT used it for inspiration, like the flip-phone, touchscreens, and so on), JJ Abrams turned it into another-Action movie.

Yeah.

yes. I do not like what he did to the enterprise. she is not a hot rod. she is a grand old lady.