Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 4 years ago

RHH: Sportsdude, If you don't mind how about he have a little debate about The College Dropout vs Late Registration?

So shall we if you don't mind?

Ok so in my opinion, why I think The College Dropout was better because really sonically it was better. Plus Ye brought in WAAY more lyricism in Dropout. I mean he didn't rely on features as much as he did on Late Registration. Like Jesus Walks was one of the best lyrical songs I heard in the past decade. Production wise, not gonna lie this one goes to Late Registration. But not ALL parts of it. Sampling on TCD was hella better then sampling on LR. Watchu think?

-MC

Best Answer

Like I said before, with Late Registration, I feel that Kanye stepped up everything compared to The College Dropout. Not sure if you knew this, but Rhymefest actually wrote Kanye's lyrics for Jesus Walks lol. You gotta remember, Kanye has a lot of writing help on the majority of his tracks. When it comes to production, both albums are outstanding but LR takes the cake since the beats are a bit more creative. Not saying that the beats on TCD aren't creative but some of the beats on that album are the type you'd hear on a Common album or something. In terms of features, I'd say LR wins as well. I'd put verses like JAY Z's on Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Nas on We Major, Lupe on Touch The Sky, etc. over any feature that is on TCD. Both albums are perfect imo but Kanye took his creativity to a different level with this album. Can't go wrong with either, though

Late registration is a great album but I think college dropout is better. Here is my reasoning

1. TCD is more cohesive

2. TCD had a bigger impact on modern hip hop

3. Late registration was meant to be more commercial which isn't always a bad thing, but I feel like Kanye made TCD the way he wanted to more than late registration

4. Great soulful production in TCD

5. TCD is easier to connect to imo. He seems to be saying more on this album.

Honestly tho TCD is only slightly better than late registration

They are both classics and I get why you think The College Dropout is better, but in my opinion... Late Registration was better because I feel there was more creativity in it. Based on Sportsdude's previous answers about Kanye West's albums I would probably say that he would think Late Registration is better too.