Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 4 years ago

How do you think soring in Tennessee walking horses can be stopped?

I recently watched a documentary and was just wondering what could be done, if anything.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Boycotting shows, raising awareness, enforcing the horse protection act more strictly, that kind of thing.

And just to inform you, with the proper mechanical aids a horse can preform the big lick without soring or pain. Those giant heavy shoes that they wear are actually helping them step high. At first it sounds stupid, why would you step higher if your feet are heavier? But think about it. If your feet are heavier, then you're going to work harder to get them off the ground, but once you have the upward momentum, you've got the weight going up and the extra force it took you to pick up your foot in the first place, so you naturally step higher. Put on a pair of ski boots and run, then run in normal shoes. You step higher in the ski boots wether you're trying to or not. The walking horse world has just taken this to the extreme. I don't think taking it to the extreme is much better than soring, because the horse can't be turned out in a pasture and it's like having 5 inch heels strapped to your feet but always. I just felt the need to tell you because a lot of times those documentaries are kind of one sided. I don't support the walking horse industry but I try to look at things from both sides and I hope you do the same. :)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The SHOWS need to be more vigilant and strict. They need to change their standards and do better inspections on those who participate. Check for drugs. Check equipment. Check the health of the horses.

If the shows stop encouraging winning by gross exaggerated movements (due to soring, chains, stacked hoof contraptions, overly heavy shoes, etc), then the abusers will in turn have to change their ways. At least, that is what we can hope for.

In Dressage, a bit of blood, even a tiny bit, will get you kicked out!

• Starlight 1
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

The "no visible blood " rule isn't restricted to dressage alone. It applies to ALL the sports that are sanctioned or recognized by the FEI, including show jumping, eventing, vaulting, reining, combined driving, endurance, and para-equestrian dressage. This is a good thing, not a bad one.

• Carl
    Lv 5
    4 years ago

Can it be stopped? Yes.

Will it stop? Not as long as there's money in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.