sharyn asked in PetsHorses · 4 years ago

is it too late for me to start horse riding?

at the age of 12 me and my friend started horse riding, she asked me if i wanted to go with her and i said yes and i loved the feeling of being on a horse, then i sorta got forced into this pony club thing by my teacher and people around me and it wasnt the same because all we did was look after horses barelly got to ride so i quit. now im 14 and i just started riding again, i have been to 2 lessons last sunday and today, last sunday i was learning to get my position correct because i mostly need to work on that and trotting and today i was rising trotting with one hand in the air and the other on a neck collar then swapping, and i really enjoy horse riding, i know its hard and it hurts and people think its easy but its not but i love the feel of being on the back of the horse, feeling free, feeling so happy, i havent been happy in a while and horse riding bring the child out of me. i would most probably end up going every other week and every week on holidays, i have a horse that i will ride every time i go and her names alice, shes a dumpy horse and if you put a little pressure on the rains she will tend to stop but this is a good thing because she can show me how to ride properly from the beginning, my trainer ive been having is called carol and shes really good, she takes me out of my comfort a lot and shes not too strict either, i know im going on and on but im trying to tell you how my riding is and if i have potential. i have no idea what to do as a job, i love cake decorating but people tell me i wont be able to make a full living out of it so i was thinking if i make that as a home job and get a job working with horses, like teaching others how to ride and going to competitions :) any advice would be great, i love horses more than anything and i really want a job with them but i think ive started too late (people told me lots) do you think? if i want to teach other when im older or make a living with competitions (or do compeitions on the side) :) sorry its so long, i like to type :P

Favorite Answer

How ridiculous. Do you really think 14 is old? There is no age limit on horses. You are never too old to learn to ride, or get a job working with them. You should be able to get a job as a groom easily enough, but the pay isn't great. Becoming an instructor you will need to get qualifications and insurance, then a stable may take you on if they are looking to hire a riding instructor. Not many riders make a living just off horses and competing- many have full time jobs and fit the horses around the job. As for if you have potential, does it really matter? If you enjoy riding, keep riding! Why give up something that makes you happy just because you may not be Olympic material?

Now for the cake decorating. Yes, you CAN make a living off that, by getting a job in a cake shop, you could be a baker working in a bakery. Go into making wedding cakes, cakes for other special occasions. Work for a catering business. Go to cookery school even.

Hope this helps!

You are never too old to start riding! So don't worry about that! But be aware that it takes a long time to become a well-known and good rider who can make a decent living off just horses. It's all about building up a reputation. You will need to ride and work hard for many years before people will look at you for riding lessons. But don't give up on anything if it's what you really want. Just be aware that you will have to work very hard for it.

Start looking on websites to find out about how much different jobs make and what not. You could even start looking at colleges and universities around you to see what kind of stuff they offer for what you want to do.

Best of luck!

• Bec

I would say it depends on how committed you are. For me, riding has only ever been for fun so I've never felt the need to really push myself into doing things - yes I like a challenge and to try something new but if I don't feel confident going over a certain jump or on a certain horse, I'm ok with making the jump smaller or whatever.

It's never too late to start riding. And if you want to make a career of it, you will need to do more than ride weekly. You'll have to learn all the care stuff (how to muck out, tack up, groom, feeding, safety etcetc) AND the riding aspect. To me, a riding instructor should be able to do MORE than they ask their students to do. Don't ask me to jump a jump if you would not be confident and able to jump the same jump well. Yes, horses are animals and can be unpredictable and I have seen the horses buck with the instructors. But the instructor just gets on with it and the horse does do what is asked.

And teaching is difficult - I know what I like in an instructor and what I don't like. If that is something you are thinking about, take lessons in a variety of places (even just the odd few) to see what other instructors are like. I've had lessons with someone who obviously found riding easy and jsut "got it" and couldn't really explain how to do something. It was alright for the odd few lessons and he did teach some really good stuff, but I didn't feel he was a right match for me. Equally well, an instructor who is stuck in their ways and has a slower moving pace (we very rarely walk as a ride when we go to canter. It's only if we have a newbie in the lesson or a difficult horse. But this one instructor has our first canter with everyone in walk. To me, that is wasting time because we are all capable of being in trot, especially when another instructor will send us off in fairly quick succession.

14 is actually very young and definitely not too late at all. A lot of people grow up around horses and have been working with them as long as they can remember, but their family started somewhere too. Their family didn't always have horses, but there was someone that decided to get into it. I'd say you'd get the most money by providing services to people, not from competitions. Like others said, making a huge amount of money with horses is difficult, but that goes for making any large amount of money. Also, a thing about horses is that you kinda already need a large amount of money to make anything super profitable. You need acres and horses, both cost thousands of dollars.

You can make money with your cake decorating passion too. To make a lot of money though, you'd need to start your own business like a bakery. You'd essentially need to make your own business with horses too, so which ever you choose know that it'll take a ton of time and work.

Ugh. Give me a break. I started riding when I was 19 and that is still young. My dog is older than you.

NO. It is not too late for you to start riding. It is never too late. Just go out, ride, learn.

• Amazing Grace
      4 years agoReport

LOL! I got a dog like that too...so funny. I love these kids that think they are too old!

No, I started when I was 14. But I only did it for fun, not as a sport.

• Ginger

If you want to make a large fortune into a small fortune, take up horses. You don't make money in horses unless you're incredibly talented, incredibly dedicated, and willing to do whatever it takes to make your dream work. As training goes, you often don't make enough money to live well on, and sometimes you have to sacrifice the wellbeing of the horse to make your training profitable. If you end up training competitive riders, you'll have to constantly be learning and training yourself in order to properly teach your students. You'll need to put a lot of time and effort into the horses and riders under your tutelage. If you end up training children, you'll do the same exact exercises over and over again, you'll watch as kids bounce around on the back of your own horse (since most riding instructors who focus on children use their own horse for lessons), and you'll deal with crazy parents who either don't want to be at the barn at all, or who think their kid is going to the Olympics on horseback. I've known so many trainers who genuinely love horses, but have fallen out of love with riding and being at the barn because they make their money training. It's a great way to make yourself hate riding, unless you have the heart and dedication for it (and sometimes even that's not enough). If you get to the point where you can pick and choose the people and horses you work with, where you can train the way you believe in and think is best, then it's fabulous. But it's rare that you make enough money to live well on doing that.

As for competitions, I can almost guarantee that you'll end up spending more on the competitions, and everything that goes into competing, than you'll get out of it. It's not a legitimate way to make money unless you're competing at the upper levels (and at that point, you'll likely need a horse that was specifically bred and trained for your discipline and level of competition, which can cost tens of thousands of dollars...). Even those riders who compete at the upper levels don't always make enough to live comfortably on through that alone. To be honest, they often have money to begin with and don't have to worry about how much they make from competing.

To be honest, the fact that you quit pony club because all you did was take care of horses and barely got to ride tells me that you should absolutely not be working with horses. That's literally what working with horses is. If you're a trainer, you'll be spending most of your time working with other people and their horses. You won't be riding much. Even if you're a trainer that rides other people's horses and trains the horse, you'll more than likely be riding "problem" horses and fixing issues, which isn't the most fun and can be quite dangerous. If you're a competition rider, what do you think most of your time will be spent doing? Keeping up your horse, mucking the stall, feeding and watering the horse, etc. If you want to spend more money, you can board at a facility that does all that for you, but then again that's just one more expensive bill to pay when you likely won't be making much money to begin with. If you're a seriously competitive rider, you'll constantly be training, working hard to make it to the next level at a show. It's not all fun and games, it's serious work. You'll be at the barn constantly, riding every day to keep you and your horse in the best possible shape.

If you loved horses more than anything, you'd have been excited and happy just to be around them at pony club. When I was 6, all I wanted was to be able to be around horses. If I got to ride I was ECSTATIC, but I was also incredibly happy just to groom the horse. I mucked stalls and cleaned tack so I could afford to take lessons, and I loved every second of it simply because I was around horses. THAT's what you need to make a living working with horses, and even still I only do it part time because I want to be able to choose who I work with and how I train. I have a full time job that pays my bills, and that I enjoy, and horses are my hobby and passion that I'm lucky enough to make a little money with on the side (but honestly the money I make working with horses doesn't even cover the care and upkeep of my own horses...even if I was doing it full time with a full roster of students, I'd struggle to make ends meet).

If you love riding, that's wonderful. Take lessons, maybe even lease or buy a horse, but if you aren't willing and happy to put a lot of time, effort, sweat, and tears into it please don't try to make it your job. You'll only end up regretting it. Get a job that will pay your bills and ride for fun.