? asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 4 years ago

Will stripping died black hair kill it?

I want lighter hair, from my jet black hair, heard loads of ways, peroxide for 5 minutes a day then wash it out, washing up liquid, stripping it etc. but im AVOIDING BLEACH. so will stripping it work or just kill it?

(open for more ideas too)

Best Answer

Kill it.

Here's an example what hair stripping will do to your hair.

It is worst than hair dyes. "I accidentally dyed my hair this awful black, stripped it, and now it is this crunchy crispy mess!"

Hair strippers are chemical treatments which are intended to strip out artificial color pigment with less risk or damage to the hair. The chemicals used are called reducing agents.

Certain 'metal' strippers containing sodium sulphoites are sold for reducing hair dyed with metallic dyes, as these dyes react violently with tint stripper containing hydrogen peroxide-the subsequent reaction may cause so much heat that the hair gets dissolved.

Example: So i just put Colour B4 on my hair to try and remove my black dye so my hair it's natural colour which is dark blonde. so i've just dried my hair and there's still dark patches on it. and in some places it's gone ginger. i have garnier pre lightener. should i use it? there's no way my hair could look worse than it is now lol.

Before bottled shampoo and hair products were invented, mid 60's, all we've ever used was a bar of soap for body, hair and laundry. Just make sure you rinse well. Try that if that works better!

You can do one of two things, to remove most of that dye. Links have been moved, might have to type them out.

1. By using Tide detergent with shampoo

Google "How to Remove Dye from Hair"

or

2. By shampooing you hair mix with a bit of Dawn.

Google "How to Use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid for Lightening Hair."

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Example: "My hair is right about armpit length as it is, but I've severely damaged it by bleaching it all at once. As a student of cosmetology myself, I would have to say that it was probably one of the worst mistakes I could have ever made."

Another example: ok i did my hair yesterday i DIDN'T bleach it ,but im not sure what its called but she took the color out of my hair and then dies it a blond color and my head was on fire it killed me so after that i hated my hair color so i colored it my self a darker color, it looked so ugly and it burned me again it rully hrt so after i washed it my mom checked it for me and found small spots of blood all over my top scalp like over 20 of em now im scared and don't know why its there is it from the color am i sick and something is wrong ?

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. 11-22-11. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Sources:

Google FDA.gov and search for Hair Dye and Relaxers.

Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe?

• Sean

Try wallpaper paste.