paula asked in PetsCats · 4 years ago

Pet Smart Banfield basic plus plan for kitten?

I just got a new kitty and I think I made the mistake of letting my family take care of setting up an appointment for him. Maybe it is a reasonable price, but I feel as though maybe going to an animal shelter or something for vaccinations would've been wiser.

Anyway, this Banfield plan my kitty is on is somewhere around $350 total for the year, and covers the following: otoscopic exam, ophthalmic exam, rectal, dental, neurologic, cardiovascular, weight, coat skin, abdominal palpation, urogenital, musculoskeletal, pulmonary/lung eval, leukemia/AIDS, ear swab/microscopic exam, intestinal parasite fecal exams ( 3x) dewordm for roundworm/hookworms (4x) and lastly, the spaying/neutering.

Is this bogus or what?

Best Answer

I used to work at PetSmart so I used Banfield and their services when I first got my cats at 2 months old.

I have to say that their basic PLUS kitten plan can't be beat. What they charge for all the services they provide is something you will certainly not find somewhere else and the plan includes free appointments for preventative care. The one you described is just the basic and the only thing they are really doing worth noting is de-worming and fixing your pet. I would go with the Baic Plus which includes all vaccines (which it doesnt look like the Basic includes) as well as dental, fixing and preventative appts.

However, either way, once all the things are taken care of, the plan is a waste of money in my opinion. The catch is if you cancel before the term of the plan is up, you have to pay for everything your pet has had done. So if you have the plan for 6 months (full term is a year) and are done with all the vaccines and nutering/spaying and you cancel the plan, you have to pay their full price for nuetering/spaying which is about $250 (or something like that) as well as the cost of any vaccines. However, I used them for a year because, as I said, it was the cheapest, convinent and they did an amazing job when my kittens were fixed.

Then after that, I cancelled and went with a better hometown veternarian for preventative care, rabies updates and checkups. Banfield's plans are cheap but I don't feel like they really take care of your animal when it actually gets sick which is not too much of a worry when you have a young healthy kitten, but later it will be.

BUT, make sure you ask before every procedure if it is included in your plan! The doctor swore my sister's kitten was pregnant and performed an x-ray. THEN she ended up just being constipated and they charged us for the x-ray.

After your term is over, just be sure to steer clear of places that advertise themselves as "vet hospitals" because they will always be more expensive than a place advertising as a regular verternarian.

so basically you're paying $350 for a physical exam, fecal, deworming, and your neuter. no vaccines? so let's break it down to average general practice: exam $45, felv/fiv test $50, fecal $22(only need one a year unless they go outside), ear swab(not necessary unless he has evidence of mites) $25, deworming(only need one if they don't go outside: profender) $25, cat neuter without pre-op labwork $99. grand total: $266. if you add the fecals and dewormings that he doesn't need you might reach $350. banfield is corporate veterinary medicine and as such has produce a pretty good marketing and sales pitch. doesn't mean you will receive fair or quality medicine and service. they also have a revolving door on veterinarians. you are better off finding a private practitioner you are comfortable with that you can develop a long term relationship with. your kitten will also require a series of vaccinations.

• reza

All that for $350?! That's really CHEAP. I had to take my dog to the vet and was paying around $300 for JUST a blood test, physical exam, and fecal exam

• John M

Sounds reasonable get all the treatments and neutering the first year and drop the insurance after that.