What is the official name for that bridge-like thing you walk up to board a boat?

I want to call it a plank, but I know that's not it. I'm fairly certain they're not stairs, but I figure I might be wrong there.

3 Answers

  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    US Navy very often calls it a "brow", which is a very old Dutch word meaning bridge (the Dutch invented an awful lot of sailing and seamanship - their words are everywhere).

    Most others call it a gangplank, boarding ladder, depending on exactly how it is built.

  • 5 years ago


  • 5 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.