Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 years ago

Pro's and Con's to the Army??

This is my first year of high school and I just recently picked my classes for my sophomore year. When I picked my classes my guidance counselor told me to stick with 'my field'/ what I am interested in. He asked me what I wanted to do when I am out of high school and if I was planning on going to college. I said to him that I do in fact what to go to college and that I am interested in becoming a surgeon. But what I didn't tell him was that I am also considering joining the army. I still don't know which path I want to pursue, and I do understand that I should decide and spend sometime doing research before it's to late.

So therefore what I am asking is for people to tell me some pro's and con's of the army. I would look for information throughout the internet but I would rather listen to current/ past veterans because as we all know there aren't many sites on the internet that can be trusted (at least thats what I was taught).

Thanks in advanced.

or just mentioning your experiences with the army would be great.

Favorite Answer

OP,

You need to ask A LOT of questions of your recruiters and others. You need to get all points of view.

You should always have good questions, whether you interview for a job, are buying a car, or are considering enlisting. It does two things. It actually answers your questions and it shows you have interest. You're on the right track asking questions on Yahoo.

Ask what it means when people say, "We're fighting for our freedoms." Ask how our constitution in threatened by so many countries around the world.

Ask for evidence for the line, "They hate us for our freedoms." How do people know this? Was a poll done?

Ask if intervention is really about oil. See the comments made by generals, politicians, and Alan Greenspan saying that it is about oil. General John Abizaid said, "Of course it’s about oil, it’s very much about oil, and we can’t really deny that." Former Defense Secretary Chuck Hegel acknowledged oil saying, "We’re not there for figs."

Ask if there were WMD in Iraq. Ask if it was a handful of inert, low quality, obsolete, and mostly useless items from the 1980s, or something else. Ask about the former statement made by a former CIA deputy director about WMD. Former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morrell apologized to Colin Powell, saying, "We said he [Saddam Hussein] has chemical weapons, he has a biological weapons production capability, and he's restarting his nuclear weapons program. We were wrong on all three of those."

Ask why the American consumer never benefited from this oil. Ask if some people made money off the oil, but American taxpayers got stuck footing the bill.

Ask if the military has become a bloated and an unwelcome presence in the world. Ask if the phrase "World's Policeman" has almost become a parody.

Ask why the CIA supply the "good" rebels one year, but then disavows them and makes fake beheading videos when those rebels are no longer useful.

Ask people your questions at the websites Iraq Vets Against the War and Vietnam Vets Against the War.

http://www.ivaw.org/

http://www.vvaw.org/

Well, I'd like to think I've seen it all. Go to college first like I did, when you realize that the army may not be what you wanted, you will at least have a good education and career to fall back on unlike most of the sad humps who get out of the army totally brainwashed and single minded. The army breeds followers, followers to the rank above you..not leaders like our world needs.

Source(s): Recently retired recon scout

Ignore Percy S. He was thrown out of the Army a few days ago and is bitter about it.

There will be much more credible and less biased people than him answering your question soon.