Are electric/hybrid vehicles easier to repair?

On most of these gas guzzlers it's a complete mystery what's wrong with the car even after reading the check-engine light. Sometimes it doesn't even show up. This means people have to manually inspect different problem areas. Are these newer electric/hybrid cars easier to diagnose? because I'm assuming less parts and just one giant battery.

Favorite Answer

Repair, per se, is not more difficult. Diagnosing certainly is, at least at this stage. The Toyota system is a good example. There are tons more Diagnostic Trouble Codes, codes from the hybrid computer (not found in non-hybrid cars), brake computer (much more complex), battery computer.... Thankfully, those bits rarely cause trouble but when they do even factory trained techs often get it wrong. My wife's 2002 Prius died with a code specifying inverter fault, but the experts at Priuschat steered me right; it is invariably incineration of the main electric motor, MG2. (In the first generation they ran at half the voltage, twice the current.) The problem was in the motor but was felt and reported by the inverter monitoring through the hybrid computer.

I am a big fan of the Toyota hybrid system - it works great and with minimal maintenance is supremely reliable, but when it gives trouble it is a lot harder to understand. I am grateful I have never had to troubleshoot the regenerative braking system! The breakthrough will come when Toyota releases a diagnostic program that digests the DTCs and readings and tells the poor humans what is going on.

I agree with @Timbo. But assuming you mean an evolution to all-electric motors; maybe they will be a little easier to diagnose and repair. But they will be more expensive to repair because it means more proprietary products that won't have as many perishable components. In other words, like you assume, if the electric motor doesn't operate so well anymore, there's nothing else to do but replace the whole motor. It's possible that we will get to a point where cars are truly disposable and mechanics will be out of jobs.

• Ya-Hoo
      4 years agoReport

They might be out of jobs, but I've been out of money for ages

No as a Hybrid has an electric motor and a gas engine.

They also have a more complex transmission and have regenerative brakes.

Electric cars are simpler.

A good mechanic can sort a car quite quickly.

You assume wrong. Hybrids have way more crap that can go bad. Just buy a vehicle with warranty and pay a mechanic to keep it maintained for you. You won't get far with a cheap code reader when working on hybrids!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

A hybrid car has both electric and internal combustion engines they are obviously more complex and more difficult to deal with

Only a small percentage of auto technicians actually know and understand the intricaties of these hybrids.