How many ounces should a 3.5 month old that weighs 12 pounds eat.?

She was born at 33.3 weeks weighing 7.3 pounds she is was in the.nicu for 9 weeks and labeled as failure to thrive she hasnt gained any weight since discharge. So i was wondering how many ounces she should be eating the dr told me to let her tell me but shes not gaining and she always sleeps

• Pippin

There is no one 'right' amount for baby to eat. A typical 3 month old is taking in the 25-35 ounce range, and 24 ounces a day is generally considered the minimum for basic nutrition and hydration.

There do seem to be some things left out of your account and some things that are puzzling.

First off, the idea that a 33 week premie would weigh over 7 pounds seems very unlikely. (4 pounds is more typical.) Was there a typo here?

Second, your baby is 5 pounds over birthweight at 3 1/2 months.

That IS within the normal range. And if she gained all of that in the first 2 months, that was particularly high weight gain, and it would not be unusual for her to slow down now and have a few months of gaining very little.

Why was she labeled FTT? 12 pounds at 3 months is almost exactly the 50th percentile, and if she was 12 pounds at 9 weeks (when she was discharged from the NICU she was in the 75th percentile.

You really need to ask a doctor since baby has failure to thrive. Is she on special formula for preemies to add weight? or breast fed?

The average formula consumption for this age is about 2 1⁄2 ounces (75 ml) of formula a day for every pound (453 grams) of body weight.

So a 12 pound baby would need around 30 ounces a day.

How much is your baby eating?

• Then call your doctor set up another appointment and ask him. If he doesn'ty say anything see a new doc.

However I would see a new doc becuase a premie should be sent home with guildines of how much they eat and how often.

She will eat as much as she wants. The doctor told me that newborns need to eat about every 2 hours and if he's sleeping wake him up. Well my son would sometimes sleep for 5 hours straight and I didn't wake him for feedings but he never starved. If I may ask are you feeding breast milk or formula?

• ?

Typically a baby that age will want to eat 2-4 oz every couple of hours.

If she's eating and not gaining any weight at all, something's wrong. I'd find another doctor and get a second opinion.