Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 years ago

Which is worse: smoking or bad eating habits?

I notice that the US makes an enormous deal about banning smoking anywhere and everywhere and taxing it through the roof, but a lot hasn’t been done about fast food and the highly processed food we gobble up on a daily basis. Fast foods and processed foods are much cheaper and more accessible than their healthy alternatives too.

When you look at other countries, Japan and France for example, you’ll see that they have a higher life expectancy than we have here in the U.S. and the Japanese and French smoke like chimneys. How is it possible for them to smoke the way they do, yet be much healthier than we are? Is it possible that eating habits have more of an effect on our health than cigarettes?

Don’t get me wrong, I know smoking’s bad; I’m wondering if our focus isn’t misplaced.

Favorite Answer

Well, I agree that there's a lot of hysteria surrounding smoking. But a lot of it comes from smoking being out of fashion. And let's not forget--most smokers WON'T die of lung cancer. They'll die of other diseases only linked to smoking but not actually caused by them.

But I'm not sure I agree with you about the fast food. I've seen several groups try to sue fast food chains and, don't forget, the FDA just recently mandated new food labeling laws.

But, yes, I also agree that in the hysteria, nutrition is often overlooked. And just look at how obesity is linked to so many diseases, many types of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, the list just goes on and on.

I'm not sure I answered your questions but thanks for asking them. They'll give a lot of people something very important to think about. Best Wishes.

• Dan

A few things:

The smoking rates in France and Japan are about 10 percentage points higher than in the US. "Smoking like chimneys" is an exaggeration.

More healthcare is available in Japan and France.

There is less poverty in Japan and France. Poor people tend not to be as healthy.

We have a much higher death rate from violence and gun violence in the US than in France or Canada.

The real question is what causes of death could most be reduced by regulation and education. Smoking is at the top of that list. So is the number of gun deaths, but for political reasons, we don't focus on this in the US. Better eating would help, but there are some deeply entrenched special interests with lots of money to spend on lobbying and advertising. This isn't just lobbying money. Every time you see a food ad on TV, that's Big Food spending money to distort how you eat.

• y

Michelle Obama's food program was originally going to be going after the manufactures and what they put in their foods. After a sit down with the food lobbyist, that program changed direction and went after our school lunch's. People have a choose to eat fast food and all that crap, the poor don't have a lot of options as to what they can afford to buy to feed their families. Apparently, those foods are protected.

While local governments are treating smokers like criminals and banning smoking, the drug, in certain local areas. Many are supporting the legalization of other drugs. Sort of strange. On the federal level, our government took money, billions of dollars in exchange for allowing the production and sales of smokes to continue. They could have shut it down but decided money now was more important. So in realty, our government doesn't give a damn about these things, they just want to get paid.

Well they are both horrible but for different reasons. With a bad diet, you risk diabetes, heart attacks, obesity, and all of that. Smoking doesn't do that. But smoking is the #1 cause of lung cancer, and bronchial issues.

both do harm to our health