promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 4 years ago

Why Does Our Government Lie To Us?

I mean the Cover ups, the secret areas, the secret experiments, the false information I mean why would they do this what happen to the old rules back in the late 1800's (I'm just guessing the year cause I forget the year during the civil war time)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For a host of reasons.

National security is a big 'cover all' for just about everything -- many items do justifiably fall under this -- which would mean that they don't want anyone to know, anywhere, due to such knowledge jeopardizing our troops, political ties, or home country and citiziens.

Beyond this you have corruption that those at the top simply do not wish to be uncovered. A skeleton (or skeleton(s)) in the closet, if you will.

Machiavellian ideology. -- Deception for necessity -- " prudent ruler cannot, and must not, honor his word when it places him at a disadvantage and when the reasons for which he made his promise no longer exist. If all men were good, this precept would not be good; but because men are wretched creatures who would not keep their word to you, you need not keep your word to them (Machiavelli)"

For political gain -- we saw this in earnest in the 2012 election cycle -- Many lies were blatantly told in the debates (and many on the stump) by Romney and Obama. This gain was to retain a second term, or in Romney's case start his first.

Institutionalized lying -- The disclosures of the Pentagon Papers did demonstrate how easy it is for government officials to use the security classification system to keep from public view policies, decisions, and actions that are precisely the opposite of what the public is told.

Lying and secrecy are basic fundamentals of any government.. it is only human nature for political leaders to conceal the truth, hide mistakes, hide wrongdoing, and mislead the public. Problem is we live in a Democratic republic,.. which in theory depend son an informed public.

Propaganda -- Example -- president wants to get X policy or agenda done. The people aren't in support -- the administration develops mistruths about groups of people, countries, etc in order to cause emotional response from the public and thus gain support. Think of the IRAQ war and weapons of mass destruction. -- Think of Andrew Jackson's policy to remove all Indians to lands west of Mississippi. To do so he announced that the Indians were not happy living with whites anyway.. and inherently lied to the citizens of the country -- further saying "Jackson said, the Indians would realize "the policy of the general government toward the red man is not only liberal, but generous."

Conformity -- In general American's don't think the government tells them the WHOLE truth , some think they receive different levels of honesty.. but as a whole the system is now 'expected' to be somewhat corrupt, thus conforming to this is made much easier.

Fiscal reasons -- Lying about the economy can HELP the economy..

Failed agenda's -- IE: The war on drugs.. The government has been lying how it is a success for 42 years,.. when with any research one can find that it is failing in every way.

Sustenance of bureaucracies -- ie: DEA for example.. they must lie about how they are making a difference to sustain the HUGE business they have become.

Similarly -- Prison's -- our country has 25% of the entire worlds prisoners, yet our 311 million citizens are only 4% of the entire world's population. Prison's are big business, HUGE taxpayers dollars at $35,000 per inmate from you and I,.. again the government has to justify failures somehow. Having 25% of the worlds prisoners but only being 4% of it is a BIG problem,.. our prisons are all overcrowded, most pushing 200% capacity. With 3million prisoners, that is alot of money yearly from the taxpayers alone.

What rules are you referring to back in the late 19th century? Our government has long since lied to us -- It , I'm sure, used to be much less.. especially after our founding , and the founding fathers were inspired by a new country.. but I'm sure as time went on.. the power corrupted, and as it tends to do -- and as they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Because when individuals working for governmental organizations make mistakes which cost other people their lives or liberty or whatever they don't want to own up to it and lose their jobs. It's known as "covering your a$$."

There are legitimate reasons for some authorities to lie to us when it truly is a matter of national security. Quite frankly, I don't want to know everything those who work at agencies e.g. NSA or the CIA know. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

• 4 years ago

They lie to us because they need us to continue to fund their rock-star lifestyle.

Politicians stand on their soap box crowing about the 1% "stealing your money", when they waste TRILLIONS of dollars on their slush fund activities. It's a joke.

If you figured out the truth, you would vote them out of office, and those useless imbeciles wouldn't be able to cut it in the real world.

• JAKE
    Lv 5
    4 years ago

All governments lie, why should the U.S. be any different

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

They force you to drink milk and then hypnotize us to think they are telling the truth

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Because they want to con society.

• 4 years ago

So the people wont get stupid

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.