Car having problems?

My 2003 mitsubishi montero sport was working fine until I was on the road and noticed my radio was blinking on and off and started to think it was my terminaLs loose again . When I pull at my house I check and tighten them . As I pull back out later that night I noticed my radio still acting up and my headlight really low . I know it can t be a battery I just got a new one a month or two ago. So I pull over and the car cut off on me. I got a jump and took it back to my house (I didn t get very far) . On the way back the cat started a choking like motion & kinda like if it was running out of gas ( I put gas in iknow that wasn t the problem ) I gotta mother jump and took it home. The next day I start it it makes a humming noise and that s it. I jump started it again let it run & it makes a rattling noise during the time of idle. Rattling comes from around the hood /passenger side. The. I JUST noticed When That Happens. And I step on the gas the rpm or horsepower ( which ever dial isn t the mph. There s only two lol) doesn t go up like normal. Any suggestions?

• Tony
    Favorite Answer

Classic alternator failure.

You mention your radio. Is it an after market high power stereo system? With a big amplifier? If so you are probably drawing more current than the alternator can generate. IF so you're just going to keep burning out alternators.

I don't know the specs on your car; but if it came factory Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) as a 60 amp alternator and you put a lot of extras on it like lights and a big stereo you can easily draw more power than the alternator was designed to handle.

Just guessing here - so if I'm wrong - understand I don't know what you have on your vehicle. If you have a high power stereo then you can replace the alternator with a high energy alternator, one capable of generating 100 amps or more - depending on how much energy you need to run your stereo AND all other electrics in the car.

And like realtor.sailor said - FULLY CHARGE the battery. Alternators are not battery chargers they are battery charge maintainers. Meaning the battery should already have a good charge on them. When you start the car the alternator is supposed to put back what the starter took.

Also check for lose or worn belts. A slipping belt can let the alternator NOT charge the battery. The electrical system will crash and the car will die.

• ?4 years agoReport

Is there a way I can contact you with situational details

2

Source(s): Vehicle History Search Database - http://VIN.trustdd.com/?aXoU

It sounds like the alternator isn't charging the battery. A car won't run forever on just a battery. For now, using a battery charger, let the battery charge for several hours then have the alternator checked.

Your battery is not being charged by the alternator and so the battery is going flat. Many possible causes - battery duff, alternator duff, charging regulation duff etc. .Need testing for electrical outputs

• J J

Replace the alternator or the belt whichever is bad.