Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 4 years ago

Which Camera should I buy Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 or Sony A6300?

Both have their Pros and Cons :

Sony A6300 :

Pros :

Has Phase detection but GX8 not

Has APS but GX8 has 4/3

Has large pixel size on sensor compared to GX8

Has high ISO but GX8 has low ISO

Cons :

Dose not have sensor shift IS but GX8 has

No touch screen but GX8 has

No Fully articulated screen but GX8 has

No Post Focus Feature but GX8 has

LCD Resolution but GX8 has higher Resolution of LCD

Now I don’t know if in reality which camera gives better image quality.

So GX8 since have small sensor size really matter in image quality or not ?,

Phase detection is really big drawback or not ?,

Between both camera ISO is big difference or not so it matters or not ?

Between both of these camera which camera is coming with best kit lens ?

So which should I buy?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Sony a6300 with it's larger sensor will have more than 1 full stop of less noise. You will be using longer lenses on the a6300 which will allow you to produce a much shallower depth of field than any M43 camera. The focusing system is far superior to the GX8, especially in continuous AF.

The Sony's larger sensor will produce better dynamic range than a micro 4/3 sensor.

All of your pros for the GX8 are things unrelated to image quality. The only exception is image stabilization which you can always get on the lens with the Sony. With that caveat in mind, there's no way any M43 camera, let alone the GX8, can produce better image quality than the A6300. HOWEVER, the lens that you use is what determines the bulk of what most people consider to be "image quality." The sensor only affects noise and dynamic range. So when using a low ISO and under the right lighting conditions, such as on an overcast day where the brightness range is low, neither camera will have an advantage over the other in terms of dynamic range or noise.

It's the lens that will determine sharpness, CA, distortion, bokeh, etc... A great lens on a low-end camera will produce sharper images than a lousy lens on the most expensive camera. Consider the body as what allows you to capture the moment the way you want to, when you want to. The camera should allow you to get the shot without being in the way due to technical deficiencies such as a poor AF or slow continuous shooting, or a bad/confusing ergonomic design.

Here's a good review of the GX8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNIRBGXdxV4

Youtube thumbnail

Thecamerastore also has a review of the a6300.

dpreview has a tool to compare noise at various ISOs: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?a... You shouldn't use this tool to determine sharpness since that's all due to the lens.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Have a look at the link for a more detailed comparison and then consider what actually matters to you. Is "post focus" something you'll use or just a gimmick? Same with the articulating screen. Do you care whether image stabilising takes place in body or in the lens? Are you going to use flash? Is ISO 25600 realistic, much less 51200? etc etc. fwiw I wouldn't spend that much on a camera without trying it for myself and seeing how it feels.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

You're over-thinking it. Go to the store and have a feel of both cameras taking sample shots. Get the one that's more comfortable in your hands.

• 4 years ago

Lumix

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.