What happens if someone is shot while hunting?

This just ran through my mind, ive never been hunting ( but id love to go)

I feel like there are people who get WAY into it and get into camouflage so what happens if i'm hunting for birds or something, shoot at one and accidentally hit some guy hiding in some trees or prone?

Favorite Answer

Depending on your state, it is likely required that hunters wear blaze orange when hunting any land other than private property. The theory is that if it is possible to encounter another person legally hunting, both of you will be as visible as possible.

Accidents almost always happen when someone isn't following the rules. Far more hunting accidents happen within close proximity due to carelessness than happen because someone didn't see another hunter camouflaged on the other side of their target. If you are in the woods alone, you are likely 100x more dangerous to yourself than any other threats to you. Slips and falls, sprains, getting lost, hypothermia, self-inflicted gun or knife injuries--the list goes on. You've heard of someone getting injured from falling, right? Have you ever known someone who has been accidentally shot by a hunter?

The simple odds of accidentally shooting someone in the woods are staggeringly low. That's not to say that you shouldn't be careful, of course. Knowing your target and knowing what is behind it makes it nearly impossible to go wrong. Still, let's think about this: a deer and a person are roughly the same size. Your odds of shooting and hitting a random person are roughly the same as your odds of randomly shooting into the woods and hitting a deer that you didn't see. Let's say that there is a person that you are unaware of within fairly short range of you (say, 100 yards) and you cover your eyes, spin around, and randomly shoot. A person is about 2 feet wide. The circumference of a 100 yard circle is 1884 feet. That's a 1 in 942 chance of hitting a person 100 yards away from you without knowing where they are, or approximately a 0.001% chance. If you then factor trees, rocks, and other obstacles that would obstruct the path of your shot, the odds drop to virtually zero.

Any outdoor activity is inherently dangerous. Any activity involving guns is inherently dangerous. However, people think of hunting grounds as being packed full of camouflaged commandos with bullets whizzing by in every direction. On the contrary, it's rare that you'll see another hunter outside of the parking lot even on public hunting land.

Despite the very low odds, accidents can and do happen--almost always due to negligence and carelessness. I have a small first aid kit that I almost always forget to carry with me when I hunt. It's not for the unlikely event that I shoot someone else, it's for the much more likely event that I injure myself. It's mostly Band-Aids and ointment, but it does have a ketchup packet-sized container of QuikClot, which is a hemostatic agent. In other words, if something is bleeding, QuikClot will make it stop bleeding. You can get a similar kit for around $15, and it has everything you should need in the woods.

Are you curious what legal trouble the shooter might face? Well, that could vary alot depending on shooter's motive, whether there were any witnesses, or whether the injured lived to bring a case against you. If the person shot died, and there were no witnesses, your options and likelihood of liability, become far more open to interpretation and far less provable, but only if a suit is ever filed, and the likelihood of that, depends on your next step, while still clutching the smoking gun.

Perhaps these initial steps will aid your next move: 1) If possible, quickly find the injured's ID, Google his background on your smartphone, and based on records, come closer to knowing whether the world would be better or worse if you saved his life, now in your hands. 2) Weigh the potential of financial gain or loss. Gather information from his clothing and accessories. Do they seem expensive? 3) Does it seem likely that he will reward you by check, or punish you by lawsuit.

Eat or Be Eaten

If he's in a tree, he'll probably fall out.

Prone won't have that problem, but might hop or roll around for a bit.

Additionally, if he has really good camouflage you shouldn't be able to view any of the subsequent antics but you still may be able to hear him.

No one hunts birds from a tree so I'm practically positive this won't happen.

• ?

Well, its not real common.....but I have heard of it several times over the years.

What happens?....they either die or they don't.

• Adam D

This article has some information about the ramifications. I just Googled for it, so I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/hunt...