kandace asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex?

I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment where I will be bringing my service dog. He began predicting my seizures and became a self taught service animal. I never had any training done with him and therefore no paperwork. I'm not really sure what I need to provide for my new apartment manager to prove that he is a service dog. Any one know the laws in Oregon regarding this?

Favorite Answer

In the U.S. to have and use a service dog, the person must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as set forth by the U.S. Department Of Justice contained in the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendments Act.

No legal determination of disability = no service dog.

Simply having a "disorder" does not mean one is disabled. Having a medical problem or condition does not mean one is disabled. Having depression does not mean one is disabled. Having severe anxiety and agoraphobia does not mean one is disabled. "Lack of social skills" does not qualify as a disability. Because one has had anxiety and panic attacks does not mean they are disabled. Being "impaired" is not the same as being disabled. Having a doctor give one a "diagnosis" is not the same as being disabled. Being too lazy to properly monitor ones blood glucose and insulin levels or choosing not to take prescribed medication properly is not a disability.

The person MUST meet the ADA legal definition of disabled. A simple "doctors note" or a mere diagnosis of a condition is not legal proof of a disability. Neither is being a recipient of SSI, SSDI or the use of any other definition. The only definition of "disabled" which matters for service dog use is the USDOJ definition.

Then the dog must be individually trained in work or tasks which directly mitigate the effects of the qualifying disability (the dog must do something that the person is unable to do for themselves because of their disability).The simple presence of the animal is not a legal task or work under the law. Because one is more comfortable with the dog around is not a legal task or work under the law. "Feeling better" because the dog is there does not qualify as a task or work under the law. "Helping me stay calm in the stores and other places" is not a legal task or work under the law. "Because he gets me out of the house" is not a legal task or work under the law. "I don't panic as much when the dog is with me" is not a legal task or work under the law. "She also seems to act weird before I begin to feel bad or have any episodes" is not a trained work or task under the law. "When I am near him and when I can hug him I feel almost whole" is not a legal task or work under the law. The dog must actually be trained to do something you cannot do for yourself, which is related to your qualifying disability. The dog must also be trained to behave properly when in the public venue, and be under the handlers control at all times. The work or task MUST be related to the qualifying disability.

The ADA does not apply to housing situations, so any references to the ADA is moot. The FHAA, HUD, and Section 504 of the Rehab Act are what apply to housing.

To have a service dog in 'no-pets' housing, one must first file and have approved a "Request for Reasonable Accommodations" with the landlord/manager/owner BEFORE bringing the animal onto the premises. A landlord/manager/owner may request from the prospective tenant a verification from the tenants treating physician as to the need for the service dog. The landlord/manager/owner may not ask about the specifics of the prospective tenants disability; only as to why the service dog is deemed necessary.

The first thing you must do is to be certain you meet the ADA legal definition of disabled. Begin there.

Your dog isn't a service dog if he hasn't gone through training. Sorry

• TedEx

If you have no paperwork, then he isn't a service dog Service dogs are carefully selected, screened and trained to be service dog.All serve dogs are dogs, but being a dog doesn't make him a service dog

• Casey

if there's no paperwork he is not a legal service dog and the apartment does not have to allow him. You can try getting a doctors note for now but there's no guarantee that will help or work in time. you have to register him as a service animal because without paperwork he is just a pet.

your dog isn't a service dog if he hasn't gone through training......... sorry

without a reputable trainer's certificate, there is no proof and you're SOL