does anyone know anything about shocking yourself by taking a picture of a black sharpie square drawn on your arm?

So my friend just showed me this on the bus, you draw a black square on your wrist with a black marker/sharpie and take off your phone case, hold your flash against the black square and take a picture with the flash on, your wrist lights up red and it shocks you. He also said if you do a red square it hurts really bad. So does anyone know anything about this, is it bad for you, and how does it work?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

    1

    Source(s): Raccomended Photo Course http://teres.info/ProPhotographyCourse
  • 3 years ago

    Black Sharpie

  • 4 years ago

    It doesn't have anything to do with Sharpies. My friends and I tried this today with a whole load id different black pens and it worked with all of them. It has something to do with black being a very hot colour. For example, if it's sunny and you're wearing black you will probably sweat to some extent while someone who isn't will not. Black has an instant reaction to such thing as light, that's why a shock is caused, like a burning sensation.

  • 4 years ago

    I noticed that when I put a piece of paper over a camera flash to diffuse the light, it makes a snapping sound when the flash goes off. It could be the hot air expanding from the flash energy. Another possibility is that it is an electrostatic discharge (attract and repel the paper with electrostatic force). The pigments may conduct this as a small electric shock. Not sure how to test this though

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    if this work on markers that arent sharpie then maybe it has something to do with radiation? like for example, in physics you know that formula with black body radiation, and well the flash is basically a really bright light for a very short period of time and it can cause temperature to rise on the surface of your skin, more so now that your skin is black, which absorbs the most light than any color, that suddenly the power of the energy that your skin is radiating spike up that it shocks you? (i guess) if it only works on sharpie markers, maybe it has something to do with certain chemicals?

  • 4 years ago

    The flash emits light and with it comes heat. The human skin absorbs heat really well and colouring a black square on your hand will make it easier to absorb the heat creating a little "shock". It will feel like a slight pinprick but it is not strong enough to do any real damage.

  • 4 years ago

    The color of the sharpie causes it. Black absorbs more light than any other color. So when the flash hits it the sharpie absorbs the light which causes it to heat up and then the chemicals cause the "shock." The heat then dissipates thought that area of the skin causing it to sting afterward. It can be bad for you if you do it too much. It can cause permanent damage.

  • 4 years ago

    In fact, this does work because i thought it was stupid and didn't believe my friends so I tried it. It has to do with the chemicals in the sharpie building up a shock.

  • 3 years ago

    2

    Source(s): Become Professional Photographer http://LearnPhotography.latis.info/?2FUo
  • 3 years ago

    Yes...you can also do it without the sharpie so it has less pain and it goes away real fast.... And ur hand pick up energy from the flash andcauses it 2 shock you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.