How have a managed to ruin this record?

My parents got me a record player for Christmas; I haven't used it much as I'm a bit paranoid about messing it up. The record I've probably listened to the most is Ella Fitzgerald's Manhattan which I've probably listened to around 8 times. I take ridiculously good care of this record; I keep the dust jacket it a safe place while I'm playing it. I don't leave it out if it's not playing. That one in particular even has extra casing which I always put it back in. But I tried playing it a little while ago and it's suddenly gone all distorted. What have I done wrong?

• Alan
    Favorite Answer

The problem may be a failed stylus on the record player. Do not use it until you can replace the stylus (AKA "needle"). The actual microscopic tip is known to fall loose, but the record will play - but very distorted and also with possible permanent damage.

So replace that stylus ASAP and don't play anything else before doing so.

What Alan says is correct, or.... you may simply have picked up a blob of dirt, dust etc. on your stylus. Take a careful look.

Was it put next to a source of heat? This would distort it.

Try hooking up with Pandora