1970 vs 1979 for music: Which year did you like better for music?

Rock music I prefer 1970

Pop music I prefer 1979

• mamayo
    Favorite Answer

Here are my favourite albums from each year:

1970:

Amon Duul II - Yeti

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

CCR - Cosmo's Factory

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

Nucleus - Elastic Rock

Santana - Abraxas

Soft Machine - Third

Van Morrison - Moondance

1979:

Arthur Blythe - Lenox Avenue Breakdown

The Clash - London Calling

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp!

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Talking Heads - Fear in Music

Overall I'd pick 1970 since a huge number of artists that I love were at their peak in that year. It was also the beginning of the greatest decade in music.

• Brandon
      4 years agoReport

@ace The 70s were an excellent decade for music, indeed. I'd say that the 60s and 80s were better, though.

1970

I agree with just & Earthshine. 1970 was good, but I prefer 1979, mostly because it was a great year for post-punk. Joy Division, Gang of Four, Public Image Ltd & Wire released great albums in 1979, and The Pop Group, The Slits & The Raincoats released notable albums in 1979 as well. 1979 was also a good year for punk & new wave.

In 1970 it was the end for the Beatles who released probably there worst ever album 'Let it Be'. Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin both kicked the bucket. The music of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby Sills & Nash and Led Zeppelin dominated the pop and album charts.

In 1979 the music charts were dominated by disco music from the Bee Gees etc, Sid Vicious did himself in, a band called the Knack was promoted by the media as the next Beatles and punk rock was finished.

1979 was better because there was more lights, 1970 was basically late 60s music while 1979, yeah you had Disco, one of the worst s hits ever made but at least you had a lot of Led Zeppelin albums, plus their 1979 one and also you had a lot of good punk rock bands and more hard rock-heavy metal bands and albums, so I gotta choose 1979 on this one.

1970 - Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Great R&B and Soul.

1979 - Left over Disco, New Wave, Still a little Progessive, Cheesy Dance music... 79 really sukt!

early 70 s was very good for rock then along came punk and changed the course of musical history all the old dinosaur rock bands went to sleep and pop crept in during the late 70 s so yes you are right

Diffucult. It's like choosing between progressive rock vs punk rock.

1970 was not a good year for rock. The Beatles broke up. Jimi Hendrix died Janis Joplin died. No matter what songs came out that year, the year was a bad year for rock.

1979.Living through it.A lot of the post punk bands had emerged.New wave,electronic and different styles.Kicking out the dinosaurs or as seen as,apart from the ones who could adapt.An interesting time for music.