Shouldn't the confederate flag be banned outside of being pictured in a history book?

Shouldn't the confederate flag be banned due to the fact that the flag did and now even more so represents hate and oppression? You don't see anyone who's progressive in the south flying it or wearing confederacy gear-it's always racists, bigots who hate minorities and whites who aren't scumbag racists

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Brady
    Lv 4
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The idea that the confederate flag only represents racism and hate is a fairly new phenomenon. It was more of a show of southern pride and was a common fixture throughout the south until about 30 years ago. Naive or not, most southerners did not affiliate it with white supremacy. It was used the same way that a Welsh flag would be seen in Wales. The south was culturally unique and in many ways a like a seperate nation. Not so much now. Then, gradually hate grups like the skin heads and KKK started using it has their symbol so it gained nationwide ridicule and very negative connotations. So bc no one wants to be associated with such groups, it's rarely seen in public anymore. If you look at TV, movies, and music that was set in the south prior to 1990 it was shown and accepted without any consequence and it wasnt bc everybody hated black people. It was bc it didnt have the same meaning as today. So now it's unacceptable, but it shouldnt be outlawed.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

It's only alive today because for some reason rednecks in the south love to carry the flag of losers. Southern pride? Let's look at southern history. The only part of the u.s. to have slavery legal. And that's a fact. Now some people might want to look past that, I don't know, because when there has been slaves longer than there isn't, that's a problem.

• Noah
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

Flying the confederate battle flag as in individual or private concern is a first amendment right. For a state to fly a symbol of rebellion, not so much. However if a state government wants to allow such a symbol they have every right to do so. They may have problems associated with doing so, but the Constitution is on their side.

• Future
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It belongs on govt building like the Rising Sun of Imperial Japan, except that flag killed way fewer Americans.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zarnev
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You should take your question one step further. Should the U.S. flag be banned because of the suppression of the American Indian, the thievery of most of their land, and the relocation of their homes half a continent away?

• 5 years ago

Of course not. Hate and expressions of hate are protected free speech.

They should not be flown over government buildings. They can be displayed in museums.

And, yes, if racists want to wear or fly them on their private property, it would be wrong to criminalize that.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

On public property, yes. On private property, no.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I find that goat fvcking rag of hillbilly treason, slavery, ignorance, and defeat useful for wiping my butt hole after I take a giant Trump.

• 5 years ago

seems like a free speech issue to me and thus I say 'no'

• Lance
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Banning symbols is a slippery slope I think we should stay away from.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.