Santha asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

Could they legally deny me my service dog at school because of someones religout views?

I was all ser up to start school with my new service dog. I had my 504 plan and everything set. The school called everyones parents to let everyone know that there will be a dog on campus snd explained how she is a service dog that helps with my disabilities. When I walked in on Monday, I was greeted with a no. A parent called saying that they don t want a dog near their child. They are muslims and as far as I know they dont like dogs. Now this is a public school and I have the legal right to have my service dog. Being scared, or religious views, even allergies even though my dog is a standard poodle os not a reason to dent. There must ne a reasonable accommodation. What ahould me and my mom do?

Favorite Answer

Denying a legitimate service animal is a violation of federal law. The school actually knows this. Fear/dislike of dogs, or even allergies to dogs, are not valid, legal excuses to deny a service dog. You need this dog. The muslim student in question can be seated away from you so as to ensure no contact with the dog.

Many religions consider certain animals to be "unclean". With the Abrahamic faiths we're used to this applying to pigs, but other animals are included. In Islam, this includes dogs, which generally are only kept as necessary working animals and not pets, at least not outside the Western world.

But I digress. A violation of the ADA for reasons of political correctness is nevertheless still a violation of the ADA.

• C.M. C

If the dog is an actual service dog, servicing the needs of disabled or handicapped, then the dog by law, can not be denied. You better inform your Principle to contact the school boards lawyers, they will spell out the law.

A school can not even deny a dog for the blind.

Just to let you know, a bus driver was suspended for six weeks, for denying a service dog. The Union could do nothing, and the bus company only found out when they saw one of their buses on TV and the story broke.

Given that they could be sued for denying a legit service dog, they wouldn't have dared to ban you from bringing it unless they had already researched your case thoroughly.

If not trolling, and if you have a real service dog of the kind allowed in schools, then ask your parents to contact a lawyer.

No. If your dog is a certified service animal, it is federal law that you can't be denied your dog. This supercedes any other existing laws. Another s religious views or personal issues with dogs, just don't have any weight, legally or otherwise.

• Ocimom

NO. If you are legally disabled and the dog is required to help you perform (as in blind or wheelchair or deaf), then they cannnot legally deny your dog in school - no matter WHO hates dogs.

Muslims have gone too far in trying to ban things they find offensive (dogs, pork/pigs, etc.)

If the dog does a service for a handicapped person, the dog is legally allowed to be there.

look into the Americans with Disabilities Act.. A service dog can be anywhere with their handler. Get your information together and go to the principal and or school superintendent

Good luck

You dont hav a service dog so you need to leave you pet at home.

A school does have the legal right to deny a service dog or in your case, a fake service dog. They can deny the dog if someone is allergic, they can deny the dog if it causes issues, they can deny it on religions ground so leave it at home.

" Being scared, or religious views, even allergies even though my dog is a standard poodle os not a reason to dent. There must ne a reasonable accommodation. "

No there doesn't. Reasonable means they dont have to allow the dog since its not a service dog . A poodle can't do anything for you

Leave your fake service dog at home

• Star_of_Darkness
      4 years agoReport

They can deny the fake service dog and they can deny real ones. Sorry no a pet is not allowed in school and a school is well with in its legal rights to deny a fake service dog or a real one

• ?

you really need the dog with you. This is only because THEY HATE dogs.& that is NOT a good enough reason. They should stick the muslim kid in another class to be educated then.their kid should NOT come anywhere near your dog if that is THEIR. mentality. so called problem solved.

"Service Dog" or "ESA" dog? What has your dog been TRAINED to do for you and your "disabilities"?