Is True Grit a Young Adult Novel?

Okay so there's this bulletin board in the library about the teachers' favorite book. One of them reads (and this is exact):

TRUE GRIT by Charles Portis

GEN FIC PORTIS CH TRUE

For all you Young Adult novel fans out there do I have a novel about a strong female teenage protagonist facing seemingly insurmountable odds for you. The story of Maddie Ross's quest to bring her father's murder to justice forces her to team up with two of the best written lawmen in any genre.

Poignant at times and funny throughout this book has been my favorite since my father made me read it one spring break when I was 13 years old.

That's it. We're supposed to guess which teacher likes this book.

Anyway I saw the Cohen Brothers movie about True Grit and it's a WESTERN not a YA novel. Or am I wrong and is it both? If I'm right then why would this teacher say that it was a YA novel when it isn't?

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

The teacher doesn't say 'True Grit' is a YA novel, but that it would appeal to people who like YA novels. As Bast rightly says, there was no such category as YA novels when it was written, but if it were published now it probably would be for the YA market.

Of course a Western can be YA, - they can also be fantasy, science fiction and social realism. YA is the targeted readership, not the genre.

Before around 1950, there was no distinction between youth and adult literature. There was just literature, so if a book is written so it is easily understood by young adults it can be classified in YA literature.

The adult and youth labels are subjective and generally unhelpful as most YA books should rather be classified as sci fi, fantasy, or drama. If a teacher read the book in their youth, it can be called YA literature.

How does a western prevent it from being Young Adult?

Young Adult means little beyond a simple reading level and a teenage protagonist.