What would I use on wood like the thickness of a cutting board to make a border how I would choose?

Like a router? Would it be a big piece of machinery? I want to take like 14X14x1 of somewhat quailty wood and drill out, groove out, whatever you call it to create borders. I know I have no idea on how to describe to you. But I know there is a "This Old House" type of guy or gal out there that can hopefully tell me,"Yeah, you need_____________." Thank you for reading this.

3 Answers

  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You're talking about a router. But more than just the router, you need the right kind of bit.

    Dish cutting bits cut grooves with rounded corners at the bottom. You can set the depth so the cut is quite shallow. Dish cutter bits are available with top bearings so you can make a template in a piece of plywood, then you simply run your router around inside the template laid atop your workpiece, and the cut comes out perfect. If you use a template that is a big hole in a piece of plywood, go around the hole in a clockwise direction; the action of the bit will tend to push the bearing against the template so you don't have any wandering cuts.

    Other bits that would be appropriate for this are called round nose and core box bits. The core box might be your best bet, as it's a circular section cut with no flat bottom.

    For what it's worth, I have several cutting boards and only one has a groove around its periphery. I turn it upside down so I don't have to deal with the groove. It just gets in the way.

  • Tony
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    Sounds like you want to trim the board. A router can do the job but you'll need the right router bit for the profile you want to create. You CAN do it by hand using a molding plane, but those are just as expensive and much harder to find. Plus, they can only do the one profile they were designed to create.

    Using a router takes some practice. It's easy to mess up and damage the wood you're working with. There are plenty of tips and techniques to prevent making mistakes, but usually it's just something you learn by practice.

    Routers are not terribly expensive. The bits can be quite expensive, depending on what you buy. I'd suggest you go to a home improvement store and ask about routers and router bits. Start getting an idea of the tools and the cost. Then decide if that's what you really want to do. If all you really want to do is produce a rounded over edge then sand paper works well enough AND it's quite cheap. Chances of damaging the project are minimized too. IF you want a 45° chamfered edge all around then you can get a hand plane and hold it on a 45° angle. For that fact, you can hold it on any angle you like. However, you'll need an end plane to chamfer the end grain of the wood. And it's also important to understand how to follow the grain of the wood. You never want to plane against the grain. The wood tends to split and jam up the hand plane. Planing with the grain goes much smoother and easier. BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE TO PLANES: They have to be sharp. Sharpening a hand plane is tricky. Getting the angle right, getting a good edge and assembling the whole thing back together is yet another art in the art of woodworking.

    Why not take wood shop at school? You'll learn about all the tools and techniques needed to work wood. It can be a rewarding pastime. Especially if you take a log and turn it into a box as a gift for someone. Something you made from scratch, by hand. Even if you use power tools, it's still something you made yourself.

    Hope this helps.



    Proud father of FIVE girls. WAY TOO MANY YEARS experience.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    Practice on scrapes and use guides.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.