Do people in the professional workplace still call their superiors "sir" and "Mr. X"? I call all my bosses by their first name. Am I ok?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Honestly it depends on the company. In my old company any of the senior members of staff (CEO, COO, Board of Directors, VPs, Group Presidents) were addressed as Mr/Mrs/Ms xx

Those who were not executive level managers were usually addressed by their first name, with a few exceptions. There was a woman there who was about 64 and had been working there for 40 years as Assistant to one of the VPs and she was still addressed as Miss X

But in my current job, the CEO is addressed as Greg by everyone, from interns to the board of directors. But he tells everyone to call him Greg.

To be safe, the first time you speak to someone ranked higher than you, address them as Mr or Mrs X. If it's ok to address them by their first name, they will say "Please call me John/Mary/whatever"

Someone on your level or below is usually addressed by their first name, but again this varies by company.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

There are different cultures and different preferences in various companies and workplaces. There are also regional differences- people are much more likely to use "sir" and "ma-am" in the South. From your use of "sir" and your exclusion of the possibility that the superior might be a woman, I'm guessing you're not from the US. The general guideline here is to make sure your boss WANTS you to use his/her first name before you do it.

• 4 years ago

Sure you are OK, but you may not be promoted because you are being too familiar with the people who will decide your future - but go ahead if it makes you happy. If my subordinates called me by my first name, they would often put a "Mr." in front of it. It made me feel like they had respect for me.

• 4 years ago

Sure. Artificial titles of respect are just that - artificial nonsense. Sir, Ma'am, Mr., Ms., Dr. etc. Come on, let's get real. Respect is not conferred by some contrived title - it is conferred by the tone of your voice and your willingness to work together to get the business done. This ain't kindergarten. :)

Parenthetically, I suppose I might try "Mr. Jones or Ms. Smith" on my superior once or twice, as I have. They have almost invariably answered, "please call me John," or "call me Jane." Workplaces are families. Sterile formalities invariably get in the way to getting the work done. In my experience.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

It all depends. If you met a person (boss or whoever) and that person told you, let say that he is Mr. Smith, then you start call him Mr. Smith. If person told you: "I am James Smith, please call me James", you call him James. If you were not met, I would say it is safe to call him Mr. or sir. If it is not ok with your boss, he will correct you, else continue to do so.

It is that simple.

• 4 years ago

Nobody has superiors, they have seniors.

Wow, how subjugated is the idiot giving the thumbs down? Grow a pair Cratchet.

• 4 years ago

All depends on the workplace.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Depends upon the culture in your work place.

• Bob
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Mr. until you are instructed otherwise

• party
    Lv 5
    4 years ago

Unless you hear otherwise, you're okay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.