Mike
Lv 7
Mike asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 5 years ago

Is this range extender for electric cars the solution to cutting global warming emissions?

Trailer you can attach to an electric car for longer trips.

http://www.eptender.com/SiteAssets/Zoe%20+%20EP%20...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should see the Mark 2 version.

It has the contents of the trailer incorporated into the main vehicle. The battery pack is no longer required, the electric motor is dispensed with and the complete refuelling process takes only a couple of minutes. The drive is taken straight from the engine through an epicyclic gearbox and some differential gears to the wheels.

It is amazing how fast the technology is progressing. They call it the Model T.

• CB
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It might reduce emissions but not eliminated car emissions unless all electricity is generated via nuclear, wind turbine, hydroelectric or geothermal sources. I doubt it would help with global warming anyway - more people would fly instead of drive if all electric was the only option.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It is an interesting little gadget. It will reduce the speed limit here in So Cal and prevent them from using the carpool lane. An auto with trailer is restricted to 55 mph. I like the technology that is coming out of the electric cars but they still have a long way to go. If they get better, I might even consider buying one of these battery trailers but I would do so only when it made economic sense.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

A little trailer as you have suggested is just another set of batteries to maintain and recharge. It will take TWICE as long (and twice as much electricity) to charge the batteries in BOTH the car AND the trailer, and even at DOUBLE the range, MOST battery powered cars can't match the distance you can drive on a single tank of gasoline.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BB
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

I suppose that it would extend the range, but (so-called) global warming emissions reduction is suspect.

• 5 years ago

the range extender is just a gas engine....with LESS efficiency than standard engines... meaning it would cause the same if not more pollution....

what is REALLY needed is a high efficiency engine (like the liquid piston x engine) a very high efficiency engine would drop fuel usage by as much as 75%. meaning 1 gallon would last 3-4 times longer

• Kano
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Considering that it is charged from fossil fuel power stations at a reduced efficiency compared to an internal combustion engine, it is liable to increase global warming emisions.

• 5 years ago

Question - where do you think the energy to charge those things comes from? Unless you're using predominantly renewable energy sources (which is rather rare) to charge it, the manufacture and charging of the electric car is going to be worse for the environment than just using plan old gasoline.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/07/whe...

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

yes

• Danial
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

YES

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.