Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 4 years ago

Using ROMS and an emulator to play games that will never come to the U.S.?

Okay, so here's the gist of it:

I love the Ace Attorney series, I have played nearly every game and just finished one called "Miles Edgeworth Investigations". The sequel to this game, "Gyakuten Kenji 2" has only been released in Japan, and of course, is entirely in Japanese. Its been over 5 years and currently there are still no plans to localize this game for the U.S.

HOWEVER. An entire fan translation of the game has been made as of last year, which has been released as a patch that can be used with a ROM of the game and played using an emulator.

I've been doing a lot of Googling with this, and I know that emulators themselves are legal, however it appears that having a ROM of a game is illegal, regardless of whether you own the game or not (which I don't because...Japan).

Please answer all:

1.Is it illegal to download a ROM of this game to play with the patched fan translation, since there is no possible way for me to play it otherwise?

2. Could I get in trouble for having a ROM of this game on my computer?

3.What are the chances of actually being arrested/fined for it?

Favorite Answer

1. yes it is. even if you own the game its still illegal to download a copy off the internet. The only legal way to get roms is to buy a cartridge and rip the data off the eeprom in the cartridge.

2. no

3. arrested? zero. fined? very very low possibility, nearly zero.

You can have a rom of a game and play that rom on an emulator. Its just you must own the game itself, and you must make the backup yourself (you cant use someone elses backup. though its virtually impossible to tell whether you are using your backup or someone elses). Downloading/uploading roms are illegal in most countries. But in many countries (including the us) you can make a backup copy for archival purposes. But its not really clear saying you cant use the backup copy and keep the original in storage. You just have to keep the original for it to be legal. if you sell it original, keeping the copy is illegal again.

You can download a patch for a rom and patch the rom yourself. (how do you think those roms were translated in the first place. someone patched the rom and uploaded the patched rom. which downloading a pre-patched rom would still be illegal). Ive done it for some games, its not really that hard.

you can still buy cartridge games (even if not released in us). its just some of the more popular or rare games can get expensive. but you can find them at used games stores all over the place or even on ebay or other online retailers.

but pretty much everything about emulation honestly falls in a "grey area" in the US and many countries.

• Martin

1. yes it's still illegal.

2. not likely.

3. virtually zero.

The only people who ever get prosecuted over roms, are those making money from it.