How did the supreme courts ruling in the Brown v. Board of Education case affect the Plessu v. Ferguson ruling in 1896?

I don t really understand the question and I can t think of an answer. I have to refer to excepts of both cases. I simple answer will do just fine and I will add details from both to form a paragraph.

• Kathy
    Favorite Answer

Plessy was arrested for violating an 1890 Louisiana statute that provided for segregated “separate but equal” railroad accommodations when he tried to sit in an all white railroad car. The issue was could a state constitutionally enact legislation requiring persons of different races to use “separate but equal” segregated facilities? And the ruling was Yes. The states could constitutionally enact legislation requiring persons of different races to use “separate but equal” segregated facilities. It further stated that the 14th amendment only granted freedom from slavery and not for equal treatment.

Because American law derived from Anglo-American common-law tradition courts are required to look to past decisions for guidance on how to decide a case before it. This means that the legal rules applied to a prior case with facts similar to those of the case now before a court should be applied to resolve the legal dispute but in this case the PREVIOUS ruling was changed because of a present ruling. That is to insure that the civil rights of American Citizens are no longer infringed upon by a prejudiced state ruling. And that is how the ruling of Brown vs the boardof Education AFFECTED Plessy vs Ferguson

The Brown case overruled the Plessy case, lock, stock, and barrel. The court admitted it had been wrong in 1896. (Of course, none of the judges from 1896 was still alive when the Brown case was decided, but I mean the court as an institution.)