Is Donald Trump winning because white America is dying?

Libertarian socialist Noam Chomsky thinks so.

“He’s evidently appealing to deep feelings of anger, fear, frustration, hopelessness, probably among sectors like those that are seeing an increase in mortality, something unheard of apart from war and catastrophe," Chomsky told The Huffington Post in an interview on Thursday.

A legion of less educated, working-class white men has fueled Trump’s rise. And while many say the business mogul is capitalizing on their fears about the perceived decline of white dominance in America, Chomsky says there may also be more existential forces at play.

Despite vast wealth and modern medicine, the U.S. has lower average life expectancy than many other nations. And while the average has been increasing recently, the gains are not evenly spread out. Wealthier Americans are living longer lives, while the poor are living shorter ones.

Poorly educated, middle-aged American white males are particularly affected, multiple recent studies suggest. While Americans from other age, racial and ethnic groups are living longer lives than ever before, this particularly segment of the population is dying faster.

• Favorite Answer

1. I m not extremely familiar with Mr. Chomsky, don t know if his tendencies are socialist, communist or whatever but it doesn t matter, since he s giving his opinion based on what he sees, not based on his own political perceptions.

2. I m afraid Mr. Chomsky is completely right when he says Americans are dying. And, unfortunately for most Americans, they do NOT know they are dying.

3. I am NOT American born, but have much in me that could be considered American. I am Hispanic, and thus not considered white by many American white. It does not matter to me; it is only a perception as well.

4. I currently find myself homeless and living among a huge majority of homeless white people, though the city, county and state I live in have at least 40% black people, with also at least 30% Hispanics........Why then are 70 to 80% of these homeless white Americans?

5. The answer to the above question I probably alone know the answer to, or maybe it s only my perception . I won t give that answer here because it would be more like a thesis than an answer. But I will say that drug use and alcoholism are playing a common denominator among most these white men (and women), yet that is NOT the main reason for their homelessness.......It will only be studied and analyzed when the U.S. federal government decides to give out grants to universities so they can have an answer in the next 5 or 10 years.........Meantime homelessness is growing at records never seen.

6. My own reasons for homelessness are probably American reasons, but they don t have to do with substance abuse of any kind. It has to do with end result of many decades struggle with hospitals, doctor negligence, insurance companies, multiple illness in the immediate family, and city and county ordinances stopping me from making the most of my home, losing my home and eventually falling prey to slumlord abuse, where judges would side with the opposite party and me finally giving in and losing whatever was left of my normal life.

7. It doesn t help much that I m way over 50 years of age, with no college education and skills which are no longer useful in the workforce, nor that I spent almost two years replying to hundreds job possibilities on Craigslist and posting my resume dozens of times online.

8. Again, I m glad Mr. Chomsky, being already very old (87 years), has caused this small revolution by daring to implicate the Donald; maybe now many healthy, wealthy and connected Americans can make the connection between what is truly wrong in the U.S. among those of us who have come to know poverty head on and with our heads resting on a sidewalk.

He's not saying that it's RIGHT. He's saying that people are reacting out of fear- something that's always true. We buy things and do thing and vote fro candidates based on our emotions rather than logic. Advertisers know this and capitalize on it.

The higher death rates among poorer members of the population, black, white and other, are because of lack of access to health care and poor lifestyle choices, including diet, smoking, drinking, etc.- not some conspiracy among minority groups.

It may not be the whole story but it's a good point with historical background. There's a lot of debate on American decline and the reasons for it. Imperial overreach, multiple wars costing trillions, growing economic inequality, candidates calling for racist policies... certainly a good case.

what else is new.

dt's just pandering mainly to the GOP's pillar, the ye olde Southern Strategy Base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_st...

.

Lee Atwater on the GOP’s Southern Strategy.

.

He was Chair of the Republican National Committee and a major Presidential campaign strategist for Reagan twice and Bush 1 in 1988.

.

Atwater: “You start out in 1954 by saying, ‘N___, n____, n____ ‘ " [common racist slur vs black ppL

.

x

.

http://bit.ly/1n77H1s Salon.com 2014

.

Lee Atwater said the Southern Strategy

.

was “the blue print for everything I’ve done. ”

.

x

.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/11/the_racism_at_the_... .

.

“The racism at the heart of the Reagan presidency”

.

x

The popularity of Trump reflects the "counter action" to what is seen as an excessive movement to the Liberal-Left in recent years.

If your car veers rapidly to the left , one is apt to overcompensate with an over steer to the right -- and that is what is happening here .

• chris

Oh Goody! More bad news!

I guess I'll just cash out my 401K and head on down to Atlantic City and gamble it away in Trumps casino.

• justa

If he represents white America and he doesn't, then we deserve to pass on.

I'm voting for him only because it's funny.

• Desire

Sounds about right.

in regards to the Chomsky statement, the same could have been (and was) said about Obama in 2008... Chomsky continues to be a critic of Obama too, by the way...

the rest is just your usual racist rhetoric and class-envy..... you just haven't realized that yet...