Engine Oil?

Hello

I have a question.

My Mitsubishi Outlander (1 generation) with its 2.0 Petrol engine, in the user manual is written that i need to use engine oil with the following requirements: 5w-30 or 5w-40, with ACEA A1, A2, or A3 and API SG or higher. ( the higher part is said just to the API Classification not the ACEA).

Now i am wondering if i will put a 5w30 by API SL and ACEA A5, will this damage my Engine?

If it requires A1, A2 or A3 and i will put A5 will this be bad?

Thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. You can use SL/A5 5W-30 or SL 5W-40. You can also use 5W-40 SM or SN oil, but not 5W-30 SM or SN oil. (Must say "API Certified"on the bottle for the SL to really be SL or SN to be really SN, etc.)

SN and SM oils have quite a bit less zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) than SG oil, but only if that oil is 10W-30 or thinner. So if you use the 5W-40 you should be ok since that grade does not have a ZDDP restriction even for SN or SM oils. SL has less ZDDP than SG but not enough to make a difference.

If you don't have enough ZDDP your engine will wear quickly. Too much is also just as bad. So avoid 5W-30 SN or SM oil which have restricted amounts of ZDDP. And don't go thinking you need some ultra high ZDDP racing oil either.

Whether the oil is synthetic or not won't make very much difference in longevity, especially in an older engine. But the ZDDP level can mean life or death for your engine.

ACEA is simply the European standard instead of API, the American standard.

• 4 years ago

use 5-40 API SL fully synthetic , grade classification beyond SG were not invented at the time you car was made , take advantage of modern synthetic oil to extend the life of your engine

• 4 years ago

use 5-20

• 4 years ago

No, the oil is good for your car.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.