One of my questions for my Intro to Christianity midterm asks: What is a Three-story universe (Cosmic Mountain)?

This is from my Intro to Christianity religion class midterm. The question is a key term. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The short answer is that it is not a Christian concept, but a pagan concept - unless you are with the University of Idaho (see the first link below).

I also found two other articles on the subject, and have posted the links, but please be aware that this Cosmic Mountain idea is NOT biblical or Christian.

I suggest you start with the last link which opens with the following:

"Historically, there have been three main Western belief systems that describe the shape, layout and movements of the earth, as well as the moon, sun and the rest of the universe:

The ancient, pre-scientific Pagan view, found throughout the Mediterranean area and the Middle East.

The earth-centered view, which was developed by the ancient Greeks, and was generally accepted among educated persons by the 3rd century CE. It survived until after the time of Copernicus (1473-1543 CE).

The modern view, which is a refinement of Copernicus' beliefs of 1543 CE.

This essay describes the ancient Pagan belief system, as found in ancient Babylonia, Egypt, Rome, Greece, Israel, etc, and how it collapsed when faced with the considerably more accurate view of the Greeks. It briefly describes the Copernican theory. It concludes with an anti-Christian hoax of the 1830's which partly survives today."

That says it all, really.

• Brandon4 years agoReport

Thank you for being real and honest unlike the other answers.

• Kate

No idea. That doesn't sound like a Christian concept.

that has nothing to do with the bible or Christianity

sorry