Aly asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 years ago

How to protect my carpet from bunny?

I want to put my bunny in a bigger house since the one he came with when I first got him is so tiny. I play on making him one with storage cubes and zip ties which I ve seen many online tutorials for. It seems everyone though has wood floors but my bunny is in my room and I have carpet. What is the best thing to put down to protect the carpet from poop, and other things. My bunny is somewhat litter trained.

Favorite Answer

Once your bunny is fully litter trained, the carpet should not be an issue. Many bunnies have a hard time walking on hard wood floors anyway because they are so slick. (same goes for tile) I've had some rabbits have little difficulty on solid floors while others refused to walk on it at all.

The ideal flooring would be carpet and I've had many-a-rabbit on carpet. I even used it inside my NIC (cube) cages.

That said, there are some bunnies that decide carpet is great for chewing. That would be the bigger concern. A fixed rabbit is less likely to chew carpet. Of all the rabbits I've had, though, only one chewed carpet.

My site will show more samples of bunnies having no problem on carpet. However, once you get the new cage built, I suggest that you don't allow bunny out in your room all at once. Use an exercise pen (or extra grids) to create a smaller space around the cage door. I explain all this on my site under 'litter training.' Roaming space for a bunny needs to be expanded gradually so that potty accidents don't happen. Eventually, he can have the whole space. Please be sure to read that portion of my site to minimize potty problems.

As for the poos, they don't cause any problems on carpet. Poos are dry and odor free and easy enough to sweep up. It's the urine that no one wants on carpet. But once litter trained, there should be no urine accidents IF the gradual procedure for roaming (described on my site) is followed.

While you are still in the training stage with bunny (especially if he isn't yet fixed because rabbits often forget their litter training habits when hormones activate), then you can temporarily protect your carpet. During training when you are still limiting that roaming space, you could just put down a heavy duty plastic tarp and cover it with a cheap fleece blanket ($3 at Wal-Mart). There are photos of this on my site as well.

Source(s): http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com (my website)
  • Ocimom

You can't. Rabbits and carpet don't go together. NO rabbit can be fully litter pan trained and the rabbit will pee and poop on the carpet. Its almost imposssible to get cat urine out out of carpet, probably just as bad with a rabbit.

I don't agree with keeping a rabbit inside all the time. They should have a nice hutch for outside and limited time inside. Rabbits are chewers and you have to be careful what you give them to be around or play with.

• defend liberty
      4 years agoReport

indoor rabbits since the late 1980s. Even some of my cages had carpet on the upper levels -- never any peeing. I am among many that can say that my rabbits do not and have not peed on my carpet.

• Riley

I have a trash bag under mine with a towel on top so he doesn't slip, but if you don't have a big enough towel to tuck under the corners it will be pointless as he will only dig them up.

I suggest litter training him before you move him. You can't do this until he's fixed but I'm sure 90% of the people you've seen on the Internet had their rabbits litter trained so it wasn't a problem.

A lot of people use a standard plastic child's wading pool, you can slide it under your bed for storage.

• Amber

Put a tarp down or something until you have him litter trained.

Linoleum, vinyl, coroplast, tarp, shower curtain liner.

Roll it up and leave it in the garage!