If we've been together three years but we're 18 is it too young to get married?

• Liz

You're roughly half a dozen years away from having a fully developed brain. Yes, it's too early to get married. Don't even TALK about marriage until after you've both finished college.

Yup. Way too young. Dating 3 yrs as teens, is NOTHING like dating 3 yrs as independent adults.

When you're 25 and can say you've been with someone 2 years or more, and you want to marry, then you might be ready if you're mature, financially stable, got a good future plan, and ready to legally bind your life to someone else for the foreseeable future.

• AlJo

in a modern society, marriage is really not necessary.

If you're both committed to each other, you don't need to be married.

You can live together. You can buy things together. You can share credit cards. You can shared bank accounts. You can sleep in the same bed. You can have kids together. You share a long life together and then die together.

All without getting married.

• ?

Dating is not the same as being married. There are things that come into play in a marriage that require some maturity and experience. At 18 you have neither. Being in love is all fine and dandy but the initial infatuation will diminish and it becomes more of a slog (I was married 16 years myself). Marriage is like a garden with overgrown weeds and you have to keep pruning or weeding or the weeds come back. If you leave things as they are, take things for granted then the weeds will grow back.

You will probably get many people saying you are too young but dont offer reasons why. Heres some of my reasons why.

1,. At 18 you are still developing as a person and finding out who you are as an individual. this process doesnt really stabilise until you are about 25. this is when you have finished college and been working a few years, have independent income and probably living by yourself. At 18- do you have your own income? Whats your education level- hgh school? Do you still live with your parents?

2. Statistics show that about 40% of marriages over 10 years end in divorce. Those who marry earlier, say 20 divorce about 70% of the time, mainly due to immaturity, and marrying too young.

3. The biggest things that couples fight about are money and sex, not necessarily in that order. Arguments about who earns the money and who controls it. Husband doesnt earn enough or doesnt give wife enough to live on. Wife earns more than husband which can puncture fragile egos.

Sex. How often, what you are willing to do or not do with your partner. You may not be comfortable with certain things or positions etc and he will get bored with missionary after about a month. Sometimes you are too tired from work to put out when he wants it, or vice versa. You want it more than he does and vice versa. You need to have a discussion about what you expect from him and what he expects from you. If you are not willing to put out on a regular basis you can be pretty sure he will start looking elsewhere for his slap and tickle. YH forums are full of people who have cheating spouses they are dealing with. In Marriage you make a vow of Chastity ie being faithful, not one of forced abstinence, or being made to go without. Lots of people forget their wedding vows about that once they pop out a few kids and are busy with careers etc.

Another big problem for couples is vices and addictions. Smoking or drinking too much. addicted to gambling or porn. You may not know about these things before you marry or may keep them hidden but they have a way of making themselves felt in a marriage. The big question is how you deal with them. At 18 you probably are not mature enough to know how to.

There is no one size fits all situation. I was 15 when I meet my husband, 18 when I married him. We week celebrate our 7th anniversary this summer, and I can honestly say we're both very happy. I graduated high school at 15, by 18 was doing exactly what I wanted to do career wise. My husband had done vitech while in high school so he graduated with his certifications.

• luke

no..but probably best for the man to have fun and achieve things in life until a bit later in life, and then marry a young lady of that age. for a women it is the perfect time to get married bc she can attract a more desirabe man then, and she has not been defiled by many men yet. if you are the woen and you have already had sex with this man i would marry him bc your prospects are already lessened bc of that. you are no longer a lady in the eyes of other gentlemen so you should marry this guy

if you two love each other time will tell when you two are ready and if you do plan in getting marry think about what kind of money you need to spend to get your own place.

i do not believe in people that says way to young to date i believe in if you love a person and the person love you then that all it matter in the world and if any other people tell you otherwise just say f off this my life and i will live it however i want to.

• BAM

Way too young. Get a college degree first.

• boj

Youre not too young but you may be too immature mentally and emotionally.