Golf mk1 or mk2 (for tuning)?

So my plan is to buy either a mk1 or mk2 and put a vr6 or 1.8t engine on it..

I know that the mk2 is heavier (or is it better to be heavier)..

?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Heavier is only better if you crash into a Hummer.

The lighter the car the more it will accelerate with the same amount of power. This is one of the reasons the air-cooled beetles are popular for things like drag racing. They don't need near as much power to still blow the doors off of the Fords and Chevys because of their light weight.

I'd say go with the MK1 Golf (or Rabbit or Caribe or whatever). If it's just for you (you don't take friends along) then you could even lighten the thing more by taking out the rear and passenger seats. Also all the unnecessary interior parts and put on aluminum wheels. If you really want to get into it you could find out how to get/make custom fiberglass fenders, hood, etc and leave the spare tire at home.

The advantage of lightening is that it not only has the same effect as adding more power, it also has the effect of adding more braking power and is easier on the car than actually adding more power.

• Login to reply the answers
  • blunk
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Mk2 Golf Tuning

• 4 years ago

Hi so what about purchasing the engine management system that goes with it. because without it is pretty useless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.