Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

Albert Einstein: Blind faith in authority is the enemy of truth. yes or no. do you agree or disagree?

Blind faith in authority is AN enemy of truth..not the worst enemy of truth

lies are THE worst enemy of truth

my opinion anyway..

What is the reference for verifying he said that?

EDIT: I answered my own question in less than a minute with a search:

FOUND A SOURCE and your quote isn't exactly the original way he said it

The source is a July 8, 1901 letter that Einstein wrote to Swiss teacher Jost Winteler, with whom he boarded while attending school in Aarau. Einstein complained about German professors:

“What you have said about German professors is not at all exaggerated....Blind obedience to authority is the greatest enemy of the truth.”

quoted in The Private Lives of Albert Einstein by Roger Highfield and Paul Carter (1993), p. 79. Einstein had been annoyed that Paul Drude, editor of Annalen der Physik, had dismissed out of hand some criticisms Einstein made of Drude’s electron theory of metals.

====================

Edit:

Notice I didn't even take it on "faith" that the quote was correct ( which it wasn't )

lol!

The quote is" blind obedience to authority" not "foolish faith in authority"

one can actually blindly obey authority without having trust/faith in that authority ...they can blindly obey out of indoctrination or yield to an aggressive force or to fear

Einstein's actual quote is not wrong to say blind obedience is an enemy of truth, but it is hyperbole to claim it is the greatest enemy.

EDIT again PLease read this answer I gave on yet another Einstein quote q that's recently popped up. All the way to the end and you'll see how it relates to this q and why I see some of the way people think about Einstein and use his words today is a bit disturbing

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160...

• Doug

Agree. Authority is an illusion. You give others authority. It is not inherently real.

If someone lies to you, it's not the lie that's the enemy of truth, it's your willingness to believe it.

• Doug
      4 years agoReport

Yeah - greatest enemy, maybe not. Authority is given when we love and agree with someone, or when we fear consequences. I know which way I'd rather have it.

Yes

Yes I agree. Unless the authority in question is perfect.

I agree completely. I'm a baha'i. Bahai.org

Agree.

Why do you think I went on a sojurn from Heaven?

I didn't do it because I wanted to stay in line... 😏

Depends on what your definition of blind faith is.

we facts logic evidence and the real truth.

FAITH =HOAX.

would you fly an airplane based on faith.

FAITH AS IN RELIGION IS A HOAX HOAX HOAX. SCAM ON FREE WORLD.

He didn't say that