If an illegal alien serves in the US military, should they be deported when they are discharged? Should they be eligible for citizenship?

Favorite Answer

Actually as of 2014, there is a program where undocumented aliens can achieve citizenship by enlisting. It's part of Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals plan. UA's that were brought here as children and have no criminal records can enlist and "work" towards citizenship.

The question is moot: no illegal would be allowed in the American military. There have been non-citizens serving since George Washington was leading The Continental Army. There is a difference between illegals and non-citizens. I had two non-citizens under my direct command while I served - and both were Muslim. They served honorably and well. Not long after their discharge, both applied for citizenship, and both were granted same.

There is a middle ground - they could be eligible for green card status. But I don't know how illegal aliens are even allowed to serve in the military. I am not aware of any.

It's pretty hard to join the military if you are not a US citizen... So for the one or two that may have slipped though give them citizenship for their service.

They should be imprisoned for false enlistment.

Illegal aliens are not allowed in the United States military.

It's called Fraudulent enlistment which is a felony at the federal level. It carries stiff penalties.

Now please go take your bigotry somewhere else because right now at the moment no illegal immigrant can serve because they aren't U.S. citizen's or permanent resident's or in the case of DACA recipients they aren't allowed to join right now only under special circumstances

probably deported unless the military gives them an exception.

i mean, usa, mexico, whats the difference? go back.

i dont understand the controversy.

They should be eligible for citizenship imho.

Source(s): veteran

I suspect their illegality would be discovered ASAP.