my husband just got diagnosed with shingles today,my questions are can i get them (iv had chickenpox) can my kids get chicken pox from him.?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

Shingles is the after effect of the chicken pox..Shingles causes blisters that are full of fluid,and is caused by the same herpesvirus ,varicella-zoster virusthat causes chicken pox.

The initial infection with the varicella-zoster virus,which may be in the form of chickenpox,ends with the virus entering the nerves in the ganglia( a group of nerve cell bodies) of spinal or cranial nerves and remaining latent there.Shingles is always limited to the skin distribution of the nerveroot(s)involved.

The herpes zoster virus may never cause symptoms again,or it may be reactivated many years later.Shingles occurs when the virus has been reactivated.Sometimes reactivaction occurs when the body's immunity is reduced by another disorder,such as hodgkin's disease or by drugs that impair the immune system.Most often the reason for reactivation is unknowen.This can occur at any age but is more so after the age of 50.

Q -1 No you can NOT get shingles from your husband. However if you have Never had the pox or been vaccincated for CP you can get the CP as well as your children.

Q-2 If the children have NOT recived the CP vaccine they can Get the CP from dad if they have recived the required vaccines then the children are safe from getting the CP.

Source(s): nurse, a long road but worth every step")
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Get Rid Of Herpes - http://HerpesAway.oruty.com/?rLvz
  • 4 years ago

You can not catch shingles (you all ready have the potential to get them you have the virus already); you kids could get chicken pox if they have not had it or the vaccine and come in contact with the rash fluid.

• Sas
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

no you cannot get shingles from another person with shingles, since you are already had the chickenpox, if you never had chickenpox, and somehow got fluid from the shingles on you, you will have chickenpox. what it does is benefit you, as getting secondary exposures to chickenpox, will help boost your immunity to dormant chickenpox, and reduce likely hood of shingles.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

thank you diane..no kids have not have chicken pox..what i cant understand is how can i not catch it from him if kids can get chicken pox from him as its all the one virus,then where did he get it from? lol im confused how this virus works

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

they are very painful and very contagious and yes all of you can catch them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.