Do I need a printed receipt to go with a cancelled check for our income tax (itemized deductions)?

Update: I am gathering receipts, etc to give to our tax guy to prepare our taxes. My husband has cancelled checks from his doctor's appointments but doesn't always have the printed receipts to go with the checks. Do we need the receipts to back up/prove he paid? Or, is his cancelled check sufficient as proof he... show more I am gathering receipts, etc to give to our tax guy to prepare our taxes. My husband has cancelled checks from his doctor's appointments but doesn't always have the printed receipts to go with the checks. Do we need the receipts to back up/prove he paid? Or, is his cancelled check sufficient as proof he paid his copay for his appointments. I called the IRS and got an 'iffy' answser- the 'assister' who took my call really didn't know for sure.