Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 years ago

Are NASA satellite deniers Jimmy Hansen and Gavin Schmidt, destroying the agency’s reputation with their junk science.?

“There’s a concern that if it turns out that CO2 is not a major cause of climate change, NASA will have put the reputation of NASA, NASA’s current and former employees, and even the very reputation of science itself at risk of public ridicule and distrust.”

“We request that NASA refrain from including unproven and unsupported remarks in its future releases and websites on this subject.”

~ Letter to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, dated 3-26-12, regarding a request for NASA to refrain from making unsubstantiated claims that human produced CO2 is having a catastrophic impact on climate change. 49 former NASA scientists and astronauts sent a letter to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden admonishing the agency for it’s role in advocating a high degree of certainty that man-made CO2 is a major cause of climate change while neglecting empirical evidence that calls the theory into question.

Dr. John Christy of the University of Alabama at Huntsville

First, the claim is made the satellites do not measure temperature. In reality, the sensors on satellites measure temperature by emitted radiation – the same method that a physician uses to measure your body temperature to high precision using an ear probe. Atmospheric oxygen emits microwaves, the intensity of which is directly proportional to the temperature of the oxygen, and thus the atmosphere.

That the satellites measure temperature is evident by the following chart which compares our UAH satellite data with temperatures calculated from balloon thermistors. As an aside, most surface temperature measurements are indirect, using electronic resistance.

Favorite Answer

This has been known for some time by real scientists.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/01/27/james-hansen...

This shows where Jimmy's superior knew he was a fraud, as far back as 2009. Every person should know that Jimmy is a despicable kook who is now in full time agitation for Communist or left wing activities. Just research that on the internet by your own sources. Furthermore, Jimmy was taking money under the table, which is illegal while you are on the government payroll. A person like that is not an honest or stable person, you will have to agree.

You have to know that Jimmy was hand picked by Timothy Wirth, not because of his scientific expertise, but his political opinion.

From an interview with Timothy Wirth:

How did you know about Jim Hansen?

... I don't remember exactly where the data came from, but we knew there was this scientist at NASA who had really identified the human impact before anybody else had done so and was very certain about it. So we called him up and asked him if he would testify. Now, this is a tough thing for a scientist to do when you're going to make such an outspoken statement as this and you're part of the federal bureaucracy. Jim Hansen has always been a very brave and outspoken individual.

This is the same Timothy Wirth who said:

Quote by Timothy Wirth, U.S./UN functionary, former elected Democrat Senator: “We’ve got to ride the global-warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic policy and environmental policy.”

So you can see, Global Warming is a political issue, and dear ole Jimmy is mushing his hands in total politics, yet calls himself a scientist.

http://www.c3headlines.com/fabricating-fake-temper...

Here is where dear ole Jimmy is caught red handed cooking the books. Is that political or scientific?

Furthermore, as to this argument about measurement of temperature, and that satellites don't measure the temperature but microwaves. I have a temperature sensor, that is very accurate and it measures the frequency of ultraviolet waves. Also the very basic thermometer does not measure temperature, per se, but it measures the excitation of the Mercury atoms or expansion of the Mercury, in the case of a Mercury thermometer, for example. This has been well accepted in and outside the scientific communities as accurate. I have a indoor/outdoor temperature gauge. It is very accurate in its indication of the temperature. But it does not measure temperature. It measures the small voltage generated at the junction of two dissimilar metals that is proportional to the temperature. (And for you snitty little jerks who say it is not proportional, I didn't say it was directly proportional. It has a proportionality that is on a curve. It is reliable. Just go to an Omega catalogue and it will explain it to you.)

It is also ironic that Jimmy Hansen programmed climate models for H. H. Lamb, who was a proponent for an impending Ice Age.

As to Gavin, I don't know much about him or his works, but one can assume that he was handpicked to carry the baton for the little boy from Denison. I have better things to do that to study the obviously corrupt works of a scientific organization that has turned political.

• James

It's hard to have respect for someone that knows their own question is so bad that they won't even use their Yahoo ID for it and still have to hide behind "Anonymous".

Hansen and Schmidt don't "deny" anything. They believe the satellite temperatures are useful, but they are certainly not the only measure of Earth's temperature, and they DON'T measure Earth's surface temperature, which is where we humans live. You may live somewhere else.

• ?

NASA no longer garners any semblance of respect in the ethical scientific community.......such a shame.

• Gary F

Great, another lame Denier-letter signed by no one with any education, training, or research experience in climate science.

And, apparently, it was not written, read, reviewed, or signed by anyone who understands science – since even a 7th grade student should know that there is no such thing as ‘proof’ in science.

>>“We request that NASA refrain from including UNPROVEN and unsupported remarks in its future releases and websites on this subject.” <<

I would say that the letter is “destroying the Deniers' reputation with their junk science” except scientific illiteracy, junk science, and lying is the only reputation that Deniers have.

These kind of things worry me. People want to feel good inside, and try to justify with BS science that doesn't make any sense, or just pointing out random scientists around the world that agree with them that automatically makes them right (such as dumbass Ken Ham in the Bill Nye creationism debate).

Well I mean.. eh... I wouldn't worry about it to much, they haven't convinced me, and I haven't even heard of them until you told me and I did some research XD. Maybe only under the conservative, redneck, and uneducated community...

OH NO O_O!!! I just realized that that is all of the red states pretty much. Maybe you have a point

Well I mean.. eh... I wouldn't worry about it to much, they haven't convinced me, and I haven't even heard of them until you told me and I did some research XD, maybe only under the conservative, redneck, and uneducated community...

OH NO O_O!!! I just realizes that that is all of the red states pretty much. Maybe you have a point

Well first of all Jim Hansen has been retired for about two years now from NASA, secondly where's the source of these quotes that you're saying "49 former NASA scientists and astronauts" it has no credibility when you neglect to put names to this claim, and thirdly why do deniers always fail to cite a source of their pseudo science claims such as "neglecting empirical evidence that calls the theory into question"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr6dSo6SrCE

Youtube thumbnail

Reminds me of the concerns the Pope had when Galileo proposed that the earth was not the center of the Universe.

Global Warming is the biggest fraud to ever take place in the scientific community.

If there was anything legitimate about the global warming cult they would encourage debate not move to silence it.

• Gary F
      4 years agoReport

...and since NASA would be Galileo, I fail to see how this analogy makes sense.

• happy

well we nolonger have a space program