Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Forgot W-2, amended tax return.?


I filed my tax return for 2015 and a water i received a W-2 from a job i held for about a month at the beginning of last year. My original return stated i was going to get a refund. I did an amended 1040x on TurboTax to add my W-2 and it said i owe the IRS money. The amount I owe is less than the refund i am suppose to get back. Not sure if I'm suppose to write a check for the amount owed.

5 Answers

  • MadMan
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    This wi what you should da.

    1) Wait until you get your refund from the IRS.

    2) Once you have the refund, submit the 1040X along with the check.

    If you submit the 1040X before the original return is fully done, you can possibly cause a big holdup for your return to be processed.

  • tro
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    yes, if your amendment shows you will owe, you can send the check with the 1040X or wait until you get the refund, you have three years to amend

  • 5 years ago

    You are supposed to send the IRS the money, and you are not supposed to send cash. Your options are to write a check, buy a money order and mail it, or pay electronically.

  • 5 years ago

    It is amazing the number of people posting un-questions in this forum who forget something then have to do something that creates extra work for everybody.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

    ok. That's correct. What's your question?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.