Forgot W-2, amended tax return.?

I filed my tax return for 2015 and a water i received a W-2 from a job i held for about a month at the beginning of last year. My original return stated i was going to get a refund. I did an amended 1040x on TurboTax to add my W-2 and it said i owe the IRS money. The amount I owe is less than the refund i am suppose to get back. Not sure if I'm suppose to write a check for the amount owed.

• MadMan
    Favorite Answer

This wi what you should da.

1) Wait until you get your refund from the IRS.

2) Once you have the refund, submit the 1040X along with the check.

If you submit the 1040X before the original return is fully done, you can possibly cause a big holdup for your return to be processed.

• tro

yes, if your amendment shows you will owe, you can send the check with the 1040X or wait until you get the refund, you have three years to amend

You are supposed to send the IRS the money, and you are not supposed to send cash. Your options are to write a check, buy a money order and mail it, or pay electronically.

It is amazing the number of people posting un-questions in this forum who forget something then have to do something that creates extra work for everybody.

• Judy

ok. That's correct. What's your question?