Leukemia question?

My friend has been sick for a while and lost sight in his right eye yesterday. And today he was diagnosed with leukemia and now he s about to go into surgery. I don t know much about cancer so I want to know what s going on.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Leukemia is often considered a cancer that doesn't spread because it is widespread through the blood at diagnosis. But there are sites outside of the bone marrow/blood that leukemia can settle in. These are called extramedullary sites, and include the central nervous system, testicles, and eyes. It is extremely rare to have leukemia settle in the eye, but it is absolutely possible.

What exactly do you want to know? Because it sounds like his eye is involved, it's likely to be acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Treatment is long- about 3.5 years for boys, though he may end up having altered treatment because of the eye. He'll be in the hospital for a while at first, and then when his counts are high enough, he'll be able to go home. Much of his treatment will be done outpatient, but some will be inpatient. He won't be able to attend school for quite some time.

Source(s): Work in pediatric oncology. Had a patient relapse with leukemia in the eye recently.
  • 4 years ago

People don't have surgery for leukemia, it's a cancer of the blood. If it is

an online friend, don't send money.

• 4 years ago

Sounds very odd.

Unless, perhaps, he has developed an infection in the eye causing the blindness and the surgery relates to that.

• TrueSnapdragon
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

Surgery is likely to put a port in or biopsy the eye. Leukemia can involve the eyes. It's very rare, and not a good situation, but it does happen.

• april
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Not true....

• TrueSnapdragon
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

As someone who works in peds onc., I don't see anything alarming in this story. It's uncommon, but leukemia can involve the eyes (usually one eye.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.