Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaOther - Australia · 5 years ago

Why did John Howard ban Gay Marriage in 2004?

I'm tired of seeing same sex marriage come onto the news, it's getting boring, if I read correctly, it's because of John Howard we are having this debate right now

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Marriage Act of 1961 did not specify that the people involved should be one man and one woman. Back in 1961 that was presumed. The ACT brought in a bill allowing same-sex marriage as their interpretation of the Act allowed it. One or two of the States were preparing similar laws. Howard vetoed the ACT bill and brought in the 2004 Amendment to the 1961 Act specifying that marriage was to be between a man and a woman.

The 2004 amendment could be easily rescinded by Parliament and the 1961 Act amended again to allow marriage between two men or two women. It could be done in five minutes in Parliament at no cost at all. Howard showed that the Marriage Act can be amended by a simple vote in Parliament, a $160 million plebiscite is completely unnecessary, particularly as the plebiscite is not binding and the matter has to be voted on in Parliament anyway.

Abbott was against gay marriage which is why he proposed the plebiscite to drag it out and possibly, with enough scare tactics in the campaign, get the result he wanted. Turnbull is too gutless to go against any Abbott policy (although he did abolish knighthoods) because there is still strong support for Abbott within the party and he could be thrown out just as easily as he got in if the Abbott supporters turn against him.

• 5 years ago

Prime Minister John Howard will introduce changes to the Marriage Act to exclude gay couples and ban same-sex couples from adopting children from overseas, Mr Howard said today.

"We are also going to amend the legislation to ensure that same sex couples ... will not be eligible as prospective adoptive parents under any multilateral or bilateral agreement concerning the adoption of children to which Australia is a party," he told reporters.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You must be in Australia. Before you asked this question I had not heard of John Howard. I had to google his name to discover what you were talking about.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Not Howard the Agreement with all Parties no law in AU can be made without the Party approval

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Howard considered that that kind of behaviour was much more fun behind closed doors. Like at Bohemian Grove.

• 5 years ago

Its Against the rules of Environment behavior of people.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Same sex "marriage" is for the moral profligates of Western Europe and North America. It goes against the Australian way of life.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Because he is a homophobic F$^%wit

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This is for asking questions about travel to Australia, not Australian politics.

• 5 years ago

google it haha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.