Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 years ago

Caught shoplifting at walmart, what's going to happen?

I stole a couple things from Walmart. A box of earplugs and a bottle of orange juice (totaling about $4). I forgot my card at home and didn't wanna go back, so I thought they were small enough to take out of the store with me. Two guys stopped me as I was walking out and then escorted me to room and S\sat me down with another person as I took the items out of my pocket. I got pictures taken of what I took, on his camera and a picture of my face. a cop told me I have to appear in court. I know I acted super dumb. i kinda blacked out and didn t know what I was doing. I'm 19 and I just wanted to know what will happen. I pled not guilty and will have to appear for a pretrial in 2 days. I want them to drop this charge. Will I have to pay a fine and if so how much? Will I have to have a record? I have little time and money, and the judge who assigned me a public defender has not responded to my emails and calls. I blocked everything out of my head because I had an anxiety attack and I went back with the LP instead of running because I thought they would let me off with a warning. They spoke rudely to me and called me a broke loser and laughed when I teared up. I can't tell my significant other what happened because he works in retail and might think I'm stupid. How do I tell them that I can't have a record. I'm a full-time nursing student. I just want helpful advice about it because I feel too stressed sick and want to throw up.

I was assigned a public defender that I've tried to reach out to for a month.

Hey, f u c k you for answering just to guilt me. I was looking for help from people who know what they are talking about. I haven't received a demand letter after 2 months. My sister was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and the state dropped the charge. My parents left my baby brother in their hot car and he died. Again, no charges filed. You don't know how lenient the laws are in my county. I own I'm not perfect, but everyone has had their share of mistakes. Even you.

• Yeti
    Favorite Answer

You should consult a local attorney, not Yahoo Answers. You need someone who knows your local laws, and how the courts where you are tend to handle things.

• Sarah4 years agoReport

They dropped the charge, no punishments or criminal record. You were right. These people have no idea what they're talking about :)

You will receive a civil fine in the mail. This is in addition to any criminal charges you might face

Saying "I forgot my card" is not a valid excuse. A normal person who is not a thief would put the items back and go home to get their card. They wouldn't steal it

Why do people steal at Walmart? It's the one store in the country that has the most security (cameras, security guards, undercover security) and always pursues both criminal and civil action against shoplifters, no matter what the value of the item is

For a $4 steal you'll likely get a slap on the wrist like community service or a couple-hundred-dollars fine. You won't go to jail or have a record for life for petty theft, but it is a misdemeanor that follows you around for a few years.

They have all heard the I forgot my card excuse.

You have been caught thieving and will now get a record.

You must he over 18 to have a card.

This will screw up future employment and can even affect travel abroad in the future.

• Sarah4 years agoReport

Their car and he died. Again, no charges filed. You don't know how lenient the laws are in my county. I own I'm not perfect, but everyone has had their share of mistakes. Even you.

• Sarah

I have a friend who is a retail theft consultant and answers such questions privately for no fee

in most cases. He says its unlikely you will see PD until day of court. However if he does not offer you Diversion or ACD tell him to go back to DA and request it.I have a friend who is a retail theft consultant and answers such questions privately for no fee

in most cases. He says

He adds it was unwise to name store or admit to crimes on public forum

• HJW

Each State has different laws, add your State.