Do I need to inform my job's Human Resources that i got married?

My husband and I got married about three weeks ago, it was an intimate ceremony and we didn't have to take off from work. But I would like to know if we need to inform HR, since tax is deducted from our paychecks every week... So basically, does it make a difference now that we're married or it doesn't matter (tax wise)?

Best Answer

Yes, you need to inform HR you got married, even if it won't affect your taxes.

They will need a copy of your new license and SS card (if your name changes). And you will need to sign a new w4 form.

Do you deliberately intend to keep your marriage secret? If so I am puzzled why you got married. There's a difference between your personal life not being the business of the people at the office if you want it that way, and the legal paperwork having to do with taxes and insurance.

Yes you need to tell HR. They are legally required to keep personal data private. So if you think it is none of the business of the people at the office, do not worry about this.

• P

It makes a pretty big difference tax wise. Ultimately you will just end up paying more in taxes if you don't tell them. You shouldn't be embarrassed or hide being married, but you are not obligated to anything more than inform HR.

Yes because of difference taxes as a married couple.

Yes it will affect your taxes and yes you should inform HR. They will probably ask you to fill out a new W-4 for withholding.

Yes, you need to inform them.

• Mary

Now you can file jointly, so it may. My advice it to leave it like it is for a year, see what kind of refund you get, and adjust from there. Check your beneficiary forms and in case of emergency contact to correct them with HR

• GTB

notify HR, you may find your health care coverage needs to be modified, your tax situation is most likely to be changed, etc. No reason to hide this.

yes it would be wise to advise your HR department about the change of circumstance in your life.

• i + i

Yes you do, both for tax

AND insurance purposes.