Do I need to inform my job's Human Resources that i got married?

My husband and I got married about three weeks ago, it was an intimate ceremony and we didn't have to take off from work. But I would like to know if we need to inform HR, since tax is deducted from our paychecks every week... So basically, does it make a difference now that we're married or it doesn't matter (tax wise)?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

Yes, you need to inform HR you got married, even if it won't affect your taxes.

They will need a copy of your new license and SS card (if your name changes). And you will need to sign a new w4 form.

• 4 years ago

Do you deliberately intend to keep your marriage secret? If so I am puzzled why you got married. There's a difference between your personal life not being the business of the people at the office if you want it that way, and the legal paperwork having to do with taxes and insurance.

Yes you need to tell HR. They are legally required to keep personal data private. So if you think it is none of the business of the people at the office, do not worry about this.

• P
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

It makes a pretty big difference tax wise. Ultimately you will just end up paying more in taxes if you don't tell them. You shouldn't be embarrassed or hide being married, but you are not obligated to anything more than inform HR.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes because of difference taxes as a married couple.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Yes it will affect your taxes and yes you should inform HR. They will probably ask you to fill out a new W-4 for withholding.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes, you need to inform them.

• Mary
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Now you can file jointly, so it may. My advice it to leave it like it is for a year, see what kind of refund you get, and adjust from there. Check your beneficiary forms and in case of emergency contact to correct them with HR

• GTB
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

notify HR, you may find your health care coverage needs to be modified, your tax situation is most likely to be changed, etc. No reason to hide this.

• 4 years ago

yes it would be wise to advise your HR department about the change of circumstance in your life.

• i + i
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Yes you do, both for tax

AND insurance purposes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.