Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Was denied my deceased fathers employment records from the department of energy for his work at Los Alamos in the 1950's,?

They keep telling me his records are classified and i don't know where to turn next,

Update:

That's why I'm wanting to find out. He would never talk about it when i asked him,

Update 2:

I'll try it but its been frustrating so far,

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If your father couldn't tell you about his work at Los Alamos, it's highly unlikely that the government will tell you what he was doing. You could try the "Freedom of Information Act," but that would likely be a long-shot.

• 5 years ago

Do a freedom of information act request.

Tip: Don t make a general request. Request specific information. Since it s also PII you probably have to prove your relation and why you need the information now that he is deceased. Request his job title. If they come back and say that it s classified your probably SOL on any information directly related to what he did.

Not everything in an employment record would be considered classified. I m sure payroll documents, life insurance, retirement plans, beneficiaries, and other similar records would be a reasonable request as long as you proved your relation and need. But most of those types of documents are either sent to a central record facility or destroyed after so many years. If the document was very important, such as proof employment and years of service and the such it will still be available. Your father would also have his own copies of such documents somewhere in his belongings. If he didn t have a copy of a particular document then it wasn t important enough to him to keep so it would more than likely be of little importance to you.

Department of Energy FOIA request:

http://energy.gov/management/office-management/ope...

• 5 years ago

If you want his pay records, get those from the IRS. It will tell you if he made up his employment.

If you want what he worked on, security clearance projects don't work that way. You will not be allowed that information. Move on.

Remember that Los Alamos has nuclear work that never gets unclassified. Freedom of Information requests can not be expected to work.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

If his work remains classified you will not be able to access it even under the Freedom of Information Act until it has been declassified according to the established declassification schedule.

Operations I was involved with 41 years ago are still classified and unavailable. It happens.

Source(s): 100% Disabled Vietnam Veteran - Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Officer
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Freedom of information act. However, IF truly classified? Your information will arrive heavily redacted.

• Oreo
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

File a request under the FOIA:

http://www.foia.gov/how-to.html

• Pat
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Classified means classified dumbass.

You can't have them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.